Srfnfly227's LJ Rubicon

Here's an update on everything that I have going on. I'm hoping to find a free weekend in January to 4 link the rear end of the Jeep. I'm planning to outboard the rear shocks while I'm at it. At some point in February, March, or early April, I plan to 3 link the front. I'm hoping that my shake down run will be Wheelin 4 Hope, April 25-26. Oak Ridge will be a good spot for me to see if I have any issues.

So here are the parts that I've collected so far.

2 5/8' joint, 1.25" shank, Metalcloak Duroflex Joints

Synergy Suspension's rear outboard kit

My order from Poly is showing Thursday for delivery. Unfortunately, they called me last week to say that Synergy no longer makes the front shock kit and that my order was after they had sold out of their stock. We negotiated a little and I got the rear kit at a pretty good discount. I'll just have to cut it up a bit to make it work in the front.

My order from Ruffstuff is showing Friday for delivery.

I haven't heard from Wayne when to expect my shocks. He was hoping to build them last week so hopefully they're on the way.

I think they shipped them Duroflex joints to the wrong address! Haha.

Definitely some sweet stuff coming in!

mattamd_xp date=1418242387 said:
Those are beautiful! I'd love to use Fox when I buy the coilovers for  TJ

If you do, go through Wayne at Alltech Motorsports. He's a busy guy, but he was really good to deal with. He'll build and custom tune them himself in the race shop. I'm pretty sure I read Hendrix say that he ordered through him also.

Srfnfly227 date=1418242686 said:
If you do, go through Wayne at Alltech Motorsports. He's a busy guy, but he was really good to deal with. He'll build and custom tune them himself in the race shop. I'm pretty sure I read Hendrix say that he ordered through him also.
I bought some from him too. Very busy guy like you said, but knows his stuff.

NWexplorer date=1418244513 said:
I bought some from him too. Very busy guy like you said, but knows his stuff.

I have heard nothing but good things about his tunes and I just spent a boat load of money, so I sure hope he does  [laugh]  Interesting to note that my shocks are all identical. I emailed him after I opened the boxes because I didn't see any marking indicating front and rear and I didn't want to mix them up. He said that given my build plans and usage, the tunes are all the same as of now. That was surprising to me, but he's the expert so I'm going to go with it.

Srfnfly227 date=1418245835 said:
I have heard nothing but good things about his tunes and I just spent a boat load of money, so I sure hope he does  [laugh]  Interesting to note that my shocks are all identical. I emailed him after I opened the boxes because I didn't see any marking indicating front and rear and I didn't want to mix them up. He said that given my build plans and usage, the tunes are all the same as of now. That was surprising to me, but he's the expert so I'm going to go with it.
He is a mad genius , I watched him walk a stock samurai up Potato Salad hill when everyone else was struggling . He just gets it ...

It will be interesting to compare our two Jeeps once you get finished. Same basic link set up but different shocks, springs, wheelbase and weight.

get to work would ya'  [weld]

jeepinhokie date=1418303438 said:
It will be interesting to compare our two Jeeps once you get finished. Same basic link set up but different shocks, springs, wheelbase and weight.

get to work would ya'  [weld]

Nicely put. Our Jeeps are kind of the same, but really different (This forum apparently doesn't have a laughing smiley). I know what you mean though and I agree that the comparison will be fun. I'm shooting for Jan 29-Feb 1 for the rear. Though, with my luck, I'll tear it all apart and then the boss will decide he wants to go somewhere for the weekend. Not sure exactly how I'm going to handle that yet.

G Beasley date=1418261375 said:

He is a mad genius , I watched him walk a stock samurai up Potato Salad hill when everyone else was struggling . He just gets it ...

Everything I've heard backs that up. Like I said, I trust him, I was just surprised. I wish I could put these on now, or at least earlier than the end of January.

So I found out today that Poly is serious about their packaging  [laugh] But that means I got another early Christmas present  👍 I really like the Artec axle brackets. They have a skid on the bottom that will help protect the joint a lot more than the others I found. Oh and I didn't unbox everything, so the picture doesn't show the whole order.

Since I haven't quite caught this build thread up to current time, here's a quick recap of the nearly 3 years since my bachelor party.

I got married on May 19, 2012. The Jeep acted as our get away vehicle and Amy insisted on having the top and doors off  👍

In June of 2012, I managed to swap in the PSC steering box. A buddy helped me with that (read that as he did most of the work) and it definitely helped my steering problems. The swap made me feel safe driving with one hand again and it's still going strong 2 years later.

For Christmas of 2012, I got Nalin's speaker brackets and Polk speakers for the front, a new head unit, and a Rokmen steering box skid. Unfortunately, my experience with  Rokmen wasn't the best. My mother in law ordered it and it took until sometime during the summer to finally show up. I finally installed it in November of this year before a wheeling trip. I absolutely love the speakers. I installed them shortly after I got them. I still have the stock speakers in the sound bar and the stock sub in the center console, but music sounds better than ever and I have no problem hearing it on the highway with the top down.

Spring of 2013, I also got around to installing the centric rotors and black magic pads. This, I was really proud of since it was the biggest maintenance project I had ever attempted by myself. Took about an hour per corner and then I did the break in. These brakes are amazing, though I think I should probably do the break in again. I guess I don't use them all that hard.

I went about 2 and half years without wheeling so really the only other Jeep related stuff had been trying to track down a rough idle. Then this spring, while driving to the airport, the Jeep bucked while driving and the engine dropped to about 2000 rpm.  It stayed there while the Jeep decelerated, regardless of what I did with the gas pedal.  I turned on my flashers and pulled in to a left turn lane.  While stopping, I pushed in the clutch and the engine immediately dropped off and smoothly stalled.  Check engine light came on and I pulled the codes.  It restarted and drove fine all the way to the airport.  I was not so fortunate driving home though.  Had to pull over four or five times because of the same conditions that I had driving to work. It showed one code, P2074-MANIFOLD PRESSURE/THROTTLE POSITION CORRELATION- HIGH FLOW/VACUUM LEAK, so I picked up a new TPS sensor and installed it. That did the trick and I haven't had any trouble with it since. Though the idle still isn't perfect, it is improved and I'm not too concerned.

On the personal front, my wife and I decided last spring that it was time to move out of my condo so we went looking for a house. We found one that we fell in love with and moved in on July 5. Now I have a garage of my own. It is so nice not having to worry about the weather at night and I can now work on the Jeep without going to my parent's house. My hard top still gets stored over there though since it is up and out of the way.

We got a puppy in October. Wife talked me in to going to the SPCA on her birthday and a few days later we brought home a 14 week old lab mix puppy. He was a handful over the winter, but has been unbelievably good as the year has moved along. I still can't believe how lucky we have been with him.

The biggest change is that I got a new job in the spring. I had been working a job for the last two and half years that I wasn't really all that happy with. My pay was below average for my position and the schedule was terrible (actually illegal, but the company gets away with it). The schedule was actually the biggest thing keeping me from wheeling since I had to stay within an hour of the airport at all time. Well, in April I was approached about a new position and decided to take it. I started May 29 and my quality of life has been dramatically improved. It also came with a pretty significant raise, hence the upcoming suspension overhaul.

Picture recap to catch this thread up.

First one has to be a Jeep shot.  It hasn't been off road in over 2 years, but I've still been enjoying it.  Top down with my buddy.

His first drive with the top down.  He wasn't sure at first, but he loves it now.

The day I went to adopt him.

My wife and I sold the condo and bought a house last summer and it has definitely kept us busy. We had a couple of large for the area snow storms this winter and then we took advantage of some down time in the spring to build a fire pit.

Fire Pit. Need to get some adirondack chairs, but camping chairs have been working fine so far.

JeepinHokie came down to visit me.  Our dogs had a great time while we drank around the fire pit.

badmonkey said:
Awesome!  Cute pup!  Every rig needs a good copilot...or two.  🙂

Thanks  👍  He's been a great dog so far! Given his size and age when we adopted him, we never would have believed that he would end up nearly 80 pound though.

Well since work was basically the reason I haven't been wheeling, and it's the main reason the Jeep is getting some love in the next few months, I figure I'd might as well throw up some work pictures.  In case any body is curious, I'm a professional pilot. I've worked as an airline pilot before, but I'm currently flying for a private family and their company. These pictures are with the old job.  It's really a shame that the schedule and management company sucked because I loved the plane and the owner was really nice.

This was the end of a long night working.  Sunrise over the Eastern Shore of Virginia. A lot of our flying was to go and pick up a team of doctors to take them to a hospital to harvest an organ.  We then flew them back to their city so that they could perform a transplant.

I had to work over Valentine's Day this year so the owner of the plane invited my wife on the trip.  We got a mostly paid for 3 day trip to West Palm Beach.

Since I didn't need a second pilot to fly with me on that plane, she even got to sit up front with me.

I flew in to a small airport in Northern Virginia one day in September and they had an aerobatics competition going on.  My boss went and took care of his business while I sat and watched the flying.

A few more pictures from over the last few years.  First three are down on a family friend's property on Knott's Island.  The owner had just picked her up.  It was beautiful so I had to take a few pictures.  Unfortunately, I only had the camera phone so the lighting is horrible.

I spent three weeks in Dallas in June training for my new job.  This JK was in the parking lot the entire time so I'm assuming it was an employee.  Good looking rig.

Now for the ugly.  Out to dinner on a work trip one night and walked by this in the parking lot.  Still not sure exactly what was going on, but to each their own I suppose.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine