The Blurple XJ build .

G Beasley

Staff member
I have been looking for a 2 door XJ ever since our 4 door got totaled in April of 2011 .
207952_1637924668303_4223111_n.jpg

206668_1637925028312_4238276_n.jpg

206796_1637925668328_7784532_n.jpg

207272_1637926188341_2345765_n.jpg

Kimbo and the kids were rear ended by a guy doing 45 mph and not paying attention while they were sitting at a stop light . The roof was bowed upwards , the rear doors wouldnt open and one tire was always just off the ground . No one was hurt , and she drove it 30 miles home . Needless to say it was totaled and they wanted way more for it than I wanted to pay to keep a parts rig. The black 2 door belongs to a friend of mine , though I wish I had been able to get it to replace the 4 door .

After a lot of searching and trips to go see clunkers I found the near perfect 2 door XJ for me in Goldsboro NC .
index.php

index.php

index.php

index.php

It is a 99 2 door 6 cylinder automatic with a 231 tcase . It has awesome AC , cruise control , power windows and locks that all work . The body is in good shape , though the roof needs to be repainted . The interior is ridiculously clean but it desperately needs a headliner . There is no rust , and the oil leaks are minimal . It has a new head (not a junkyard head ) all new valves , head gasket , radiator , water pump, hoses , thermomstat , and exhaust manifold . It drives well and the steering is tight . The suspension is flat wore out , but that and the headliner were all that I could find wrong with it . After a little negotiating the seller and I came to an agreement and I loaded it up . Its tough to negotiate when you show up with a rented trailer and you both know how rare the vehicle you want is .

index.php

Once the money changed hands I loaded it up for the ride home behind my Pop's old truck . It towed Blurpee ( as the kids call it ) home with nary a problem .
index.php

index.php

index.php

Here it is off the trailer an freshly stickered .
index.php

The following day Hannah and I washed , clay barred and waxed blurple . She then drove it around the yard for an hour or so in 4 low . Since then she has laid claim to it when she turns 16 , and now tells everyone that she has her own XJ .

The goal of this build is to end up with a solid driver that will also be a light wheeler . Think more expo/ cross country/ mountain roads than full blown crawler . The front is going to get adjustable arms and johnny joints in the axle side mounts . The springs are going to be Old Man Emus , dampened by Fox Shocks . I dont plan on regearing as it mortally flies and I am just going to metric 31's . The rear has a limited slip , and I may install an ARB up front . I will make my own bumpers unless an ARB pops up cheap , and I will also make my own sliders . A cage is a possibility, but that will be a ways down the road for this rig . The tires and wheels are off of a Rubicon , but they wont be here until Christmas at the earliest as they are in Missouri . The last big add on will be a set of Notch Customs flares .

This brings us to today . The rear license plate valance was looking rough , so I decided to give plasti dip a try . I used the mad skills I learned from Hendrix to tape everything up , and the last picture shows the end result . The one thing I really like about plasti dip is that the overspray rubs off !

Attachments

• 20140906_133841.webp
    20140906_133841.webp
    34.5 KB · Views: 2,676
  • 20140906_134641.webp
    20140906_134641.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 2,704
  • 20140906_180459.webp
    20140906_180459.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,383
After the valance was finished I went ahead and plasti dipped the four flares , and then used Krylon dual on the bumpers and end caps . It made a big difference in how it looked , and all in all it was an easy project .

Attachments

• 20140906_180427.webp
    20140906_180427.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,994
  • 20140906_180438.webp
    20140906_180438.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 2,661
  • 20140906_180451.webp
    20140906_180451.webp
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,785
Next up is going to be door pins . The ones on Blurpee dont sag too bad , but I would rather change them out now before the holes become elongated . After looking at the pins , it doesnt appear to be a very fun job. The pins are here,but I have run out of time for this weekend . I will try and get the pins swapped next weekend , if anyone has any tips or shortcuts I am all ears .

Jforse date=1410057795 said:
Those flares are sweet. I have been thinking about a set for my WJ.
I love how they look I just wish they were made of flexible plastic like the Modern Classic Enterprise flares are. I have a good bit of experience with fiberglass so I can repair them pretty easily as long as they dont get totally destroyed .

G Beasley date=1410057938 said:
I love how they look I just wish they were made of flexible plastic like the Modern Classic Enterprise flares are. I have a good bit of experience with fiberglass so I can repair them pretty easily as long as they dont get totally destroyed .
I think people get too over worked about destroying flares. I don't think a EXPO rig is going to be rubbing trees and rocks.

This is the first I'd seen of the red xj carnage...it truly is heartbreaking.

I don't know what your plans are on this front, but I think you and I need to have a long talk about roof racks.

-Scuzz

Jforse date=1410060250 said:
I think people get too over worked about destroying flares. I don't think a EXPO rig is going to be rubbing trees and rocks.

I dont think they will take many hits either , but I still would prefer plastic . I do like that I can easily repair the fiberglass .

aw12345 date=1410061530 said:
So many Jeeps, so little time 😀, Not a bad problem to have!

I would like a little more time home , but it isnt in the cards until the end of Oct right now .

cescuzzy date=1410062891 said:
This is the first I'd seen of the red xj carnage...it truly is heartbreaking.

I don't know what your plans are on this front, but I think you and I need to have a long talk about roof racks.

-Scuzz

We were the second owners , and the first owners were Kimbo's parents . I had just put in a new heater core, condenser , evaporator and ac compressor a month before this happened and it only had 95,000 miles on it . It was amazingly clean and took us on a lot of adventures . Kimbo cried when they totaled it ... I am thankful it did its job and protected them .

heehawhardy date=1410068897 said:
What a pristine start! What happened to the old ARB?

Its hard to tell in the pics , but the ARB was pretty beat up . The mounting flanges were tweaked and everything got pushed back. It did its job too , and kept the XJ driveable after the accident .

I want a set of these for the XJ but I was a little nervous as they are fiberglass and not a flexible plastic .
http://notchcustoms.com/product/m-max-fender-flares/

index.php

[youtube]http://youtu.be/zh27bplIX1o[/youtube]
After watching the video I feel a lot better about spending my money on them . Now begins the wait for them to come back in stock . I am still a little unsure about the mounting setup , but I think it will hold up fine on my rig .

GBeazzy,
Those flairs look really nice, and looks like they held up decent in the stress test video.
You said you've got some experience with fiberglass, is there any kind of coating, maybe like a Monstaliner, that you could add to them to increase the rigidity a bit?

I'm talking out of my butt here, but since you have the MCE's on your LJ maybe they'll prototype you some XJ flairs... beta testing

I love the picture of the jeeps lined up in the yard! your family knows what's up.

G Beasley date=1410108208 said:
After watching the video I feel a lot better about spending my money on them . Now begins the wait for them to come back in stock . I am still a little unsure about the mounting setup , but I think it will hold up fine on my rig .

That guy is a tad bonkers.  None-the-less, those hold up rather surprisingly.  Those things are huge though; it's gonna take a lot of tire to fill those in.  They will be pretty though.  Planning to paint them black, or go for body color?

-Scuzz

Twinstickd20 date=1410113218 said:
That red xj is sweet
It is a nice looking rig , though its a lot bigger than I want mine to be .

TexNVA said:
GBeazzy,
Those flairs look really nice, and looks like they held up decent in the stress test video.
You said you've got some experience with fiberglass, is there any kind of coating, maybe like a Monstaliner, that you could add to them to increase the rigidity a bit?
They do look strong and if you wanted to make them stronger you could glass in some stringers , sort of like a gusset on a cage. I dont think they need any more strength though after watching the video .

TexNVA said:
I'm talking out of my butt here, but since you have the MCE's on your LJ maybe they'll prototype you some XJ flairs... beta testing
I will go send them a message to see what they think , but I suspect the market is too small as the XJ is long gone .
TexNVA said:
I love the picture of the jeeps lined up in the yard! your family knows what's up.
We all like our Jeeps , what you cant tell is that Hannah is mad she isnt standing by "her" XJ .  😀

Greg. I talked to my buddy today about these flares. He has seen them in person and was not impressed. After seeing How the attachment bolts are only holding onto the flare with bondo I will pass on them.

G Beasley date=1410136936 said:
I will go send them a message to see what they think , but I suspect the market is too small as the XJ is long gone .  We all like our Jeeps , what you cant tell is that Hannah is mad she isnt standing by "her" XJ .  😀

You could tell Hannah that it could be hers, so long as she mows the lawn, trims the weeds, details all the Jeeps, gets good grades, cleans the shop/garage, helps her mother out, waters the....

Jforse date=1410137849 said:
Greg. I talked to my buddy today about these flares. He has seen them in person and was not impressed. After seeing How the attachment bolts are only holding onto the flare with bondo I will pass on them.
Thats a cheasy way to attach them , but it would be easy to glass in a nutsert . What did he think about the fit and finish ?

cescuzzy said:
You could tell Hannah that it could be hers, so long as she mows the lawn, trims the weeds, details all the Jeeps, gets good grades, cleans the shop/garage, helps her mother out, waters the....
She helps out in the garage , and with cleaning all the Jeeps already . The two biggies is that she has to maintain A/B honor roll and be good . Pretty easy way to get your own XJ huh ?

G Beasley date=1410138457 said:
Thats a cheasy way to attach them , but it would be easy to glass in a nutsert . What did he think about the fit and finish ?
She helps out in the garage , and with cleaning all the Jeeps already . The two biggies is that she has to maintain A/B honor roll and be good . Pretty easy way to get your own XJ huh ?

One would certainly think so...

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410139197 said:
One would certainly think so...

-Scuzz
She's a good kid and works hard in school . She also knows how to weld , and works on the Jeeps with me . By the time she is ready to drive it , she will have earned it .

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine