The Blurple XJ build .

ShaunSweeney date=1410748840 said:
I do have a great compressor I always have in the rig when off-roading. So maybe not for me.
I have a ViaAir and tank , its being retired before it was ever installed !

So its time to start shopping for a lift kit . I want to run 31s and it looks like a 2.5" lift will clear that with no problem. I am leaning towards the Old Man Emu stuff , but I am open to suggestions especially those based on previous experiences.

G Beasley said:
So its time to start shopping for a lift kit . I want to run 31s and it looks like a 2.5" lift will clear that with no problem. I am leaning towards the Old Man Emu stuff , but I am open to suggestions especially those based on previous experiences.

I like the looks of the MetalCloak kit and have heard good things from others running MetalCloak parts, but I, sadly, have no experience with it.  It's also 3.5", so it might not interest you as it does me.

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410825158 said:
I like the looks of the MetalCloak kit and have heard good things from others running MetalCloak parts, but I, sadly, have no experience with it.  It's also 3.5", so it might not interest you as it does me.

-Scuzz
Nice looking stuff , but its pricey . I'm not saying that the OME stuff is cheap , but I am more comfortable with the higher cost based on my previous experience with it. The Duo Flex is intriguing , wonder if they need an XJ guinea pig  😀

G Beasley said:
Nice looking stuff , but its pricey . I'm not saying that the OME stuff is cheap , but I am more comfortable with the higher cost based on my previous experience with it. The Duo Flex is intriguing , wonder if they need an XJ guinea pig  😀

They ran a contest on JF a little while back and ended up with 3 guinea pigs...sadly, I wasn't one of them.  I'll try to link one of the install threads later.

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410825919 said:
They ran a contest on JF a little while back and ended up with 3 guinea pigs...sadly, I wasn't one of them.  I'll try to link one of the install threads later.

-Scuzz
Day late and a dollar short . I dont see where they what size tire their lift clears , have you seen that info ?

G Beasley date=1410480853 said:
No funds for XJ parts right now unless something used pops up for a good deal . Plus I am on the road .
The IAS system is the same as the Power Tank minus the price . CO2 expands so as you empty the tank it keeps filling itself . It isnt too pricey to fill , and will even run an impact tool . I suppose you could use Nitrogen , but it would require a stronger tank . I am not too sure about the other gases.
Took a while to get back to you on this, but, is there any benefit to nitrogen over CO2?
I've got house Nitrogen lines where i work, so i think that would be a freebie for refills. As far, as the tank goes, I wonder if i could get away with a Scuba tank... normal scuba tanks hold 80lbs, the smaller holds 63lbs. They run Nitrox which is a nitrogen/oxygen blend...
Sorry for the ADD ramble hahaha

G Beasley date=1410826029 said:
Day late and a dollar short . I dont see where they what size tire their lift clears , have you seen that info ?

I do not.  The general wisdom I've garnered on the subject is that 3.5" clears 31s beautifully, 32s with a little trimming, and 33s with substantial trimming.  I'm sure they'd be happy to give you an answer.

One of the perks of the kit is the completeness of it.  With or without shocks, it's still among the most complete of the kits I've seen.

Here's the build thread I mentioned.  It's short and super-focused on the lift install now, so it should give you an idea.  

Kermit XJ on JF

If and when I lift Babe, I plan on doing a SYE at the same time.  I would plan on having enough caps on hand to do this in addition to the lift in case you need it, because no one likes a t-case drop.   [laugh]

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410827671 said:
I do not.  The general wisdom I've garnered on the subject is that 3.5" clears 31s beautifully, 32s with a little trimming, and 33s with substantial trimming.  I'm sure they'd be happy to give you an answer.
31s is all I want to run , so that would work for me .
One of the perks of the kit is the completeness of it.  With or without shocks, it's still among the most complete of the kits I've seen.
The control arms are a nice touch and when compared to other kits it explains a lot of the price difference.
Here's the build thread I mentioned.  It's short and super-focused on the lift install now, so it should give you an idea.  

Kermit XJ on JF
I will take a look at that tomorrow .
If and when I lift Babe, I plan on doing a SYE at the same time.  I would plan on having enough caps on hand to do this in addition to the lift in case you need it, because no one likes a t-case drop.   [laugh]

-Scuzz
No SYE for me , my tcase will have yokes from the factory if I can find one .

ShaunSweeney said:
I would personally go with MetalCloak after owning both an OME and MC lift. You can check mine out in a few weeks.
I am not saying I wont buy MC , but the OME stuff has proven itself to me so its difficult to not lean that direction.

G Beasley said:
Rubicon  😉 And yes , I have lost my mind .

The only reason I don't want to go this route because, unless I've missed the mark, the 241 is bigger than the 231.  Since there are no body lifts for XJs, it would be harder to stuff one in without losing some ground clearance.  I've started to hear rumors lately of using parts from other 231 models to beef up the jeep case.

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410867577 said:
The only reason I don't want to go this route because, unless I've missed the mark, the 241 is bigger than the 231.  Since there are no body lifts for XJs, it would be harder to stuff one in without losing some ground clearance.  I've started to hear rumors lately of using parts from other 231 models to beef up the jeep case.

-Scuzz
There may not be a body lift , but there sure as heck is a floor lift  😀  [saw]
I am trying to buy a complete wrecked Rubicon for a good price . There is one local to me , just waiting to see if I win the bid. If it doesn't work out I will just keep watching the auctions . The 231 upgrade gives you more planetary gears and a larger chain. The gearing stays stock , but it does end up much stronger. Check out Clints last thread on JF and also Giant Pandas thread for more info .

189178-md.jpg

15x8 and they look like the Rubicons without requiring the more expensive 16" tires .

G Beasley date=1410921584 said:
189178-md.jpg

15x8 and they look like the Rubicons without requiring the more expensive 16" tires .

Thou art a bad man, Beasley...hahaha.

Weren't you going to get some kind of relay harness or something for those headlights of yours?

-Scuzz

cescuzzy date=1410922267 said:
Thou art a bad man, Beasley...hahaha.

Weren't you going to get some kind of relay harness or something for those headlights of yours?

-Scuzz
Yes , I am going to get Trucklite LED relays from Tim @ Northridge.  :-X

As soon as the LJ is back up and running , I am going to start working more seriously on the XJ .

G Beasley date=1410922715 said:
Yes , I am going to get Trucklite LED relays from Tim @ Northridge.  :-X

As soon as the LJ is back up and running , I am going to start working more seriously on the XJ .

Makes sense to me.  I'm kinda curious about where you plan to mount the relays.  I'm not all that happy with where mine are, but I haven't decided on a better option.

-Scuzz

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine