bbusch's stealth Rubicon build

G Beasley date=1460412046 said:
I hate that your having issues with the axles. What's leaking on the axles?
The rear axle had a seal leak but it seems to have stopped so hopefully that issue has fixed itself.  The front diff decided to puke all under my rig and spread oil everywhere all over the new components.  I had the diff pulled and we installed a Lube Locker and checked the gearing then filled according to Currie's specs which is 3 quarts.  It started leaking again so I spoke with Andrew at GR and they are going to cover having it inspected and fixed at Nate's Precision in Reno, NV.  Nate took a look at everything last week and noticed that the front hydro line to the PSC is leaking so it's possible it has a defective line and also noticed another leak that we couldn't find coming from the engine bay.  The front diff is weeping at minimum and I suspect if the hubs are locked in things will get worse.  I couldn't drop her off last week so I'm taking her back down later this week to leave with Nate to give him more time to look everything over.  Fingers crossed it doesn't cost too much to repair the leaks.  

bbusch said:
Also for my bday my GF got me an ARB freezer fridge so I'm working on how I plan to mount that as well. 

How are you liking the ARB and what are your thoughts for mounting?  Are you thinking of a permanent or temporary mount?  What size did you get?  Inquiring minds want to know! 

Well it's been quite some time since I have been on the forum, sorry guys.  I have not been logged into several forums since the password fiasco.  With that said I have been moving forward with both builds and have some exciting stuff to share.  I still have not fixed the leaks with my Currie axles and the steering is still leaking as well so she needs to go into the shop soon.  I have attempted to fix the front differential leak but it turns out the upper 3rd link control arm mount attached to the front differential is the culprit.  The movement seems to be causing the cover to leak and in no way did GenRight inform me that some RJ's can 'weep' nor have they really done anything to help me (be clear tho mine is a leak not a weep).  I have decided not to purchase anything from GenRight ever again and really don't have anything good to say about them.  Currie is no better (I blame the rear axle seal leak on them because that started right off the bat).  As far as forward progress goes I have a several projects I am about to get started on including a 6.2 LS3 swap. 

Since I love to share photos...

The LS3 swap will include a 3.8 Atlas II transfer case and a 6L80 transmission.  My transmission is currently being built. 

Maxxis has finally debuted the Creepy Crawler in a 37 12.50 17 size so I have been piecing a set together one tire at a time.  I have not decided on what wheels to go with yet so if anyone has a sweet set of beadlocks to point out let me know.  Finally I will be able to do some wheeling and still deciding which trails I want to run next summer... Fordyce, Dusy/Ershim, Rubicon, Moab, Panamint Mountains are a few trails Danielle and I are looking to explore.  We shall see. 

I will also be updating my other build thread on my 05 Rubicon Sahara.  I purchased a 5.7 Hemi and 545 RFE for the LJRS two weeks ago so I have two conversions going on right now.  Now that I have a working password again I will try and do better keeping my build threads updated and hopefully post up more throughout the forum.  Thanks for checking out my progress guys and gals!   

Annabelle said:
How are you liking the ARB and what are your thoughts for mounting?  Are you thinking of a permanent or temporary mount?  What size did you get?  Inquiring minds want to know! 

For my rig I have not figured out how I am going to mount it to the floor yet (I have ARB straps that I think I am simply going to hard mount to the floor.  I want to be able to swap the rear seat out when I am not using it.  The plan is to use it more in the tear drop trailer I am building.  That project is also about to get underway and I will be purchasing the ARB slide rack so I can pull it out from under the counter of the kitchen portion.  I purchased the 50 quart.  I will be sharing more plans for the Tear Drop soon, I plan to pull that behind the LJRS which is the main reason for the Hemi swap. 

Currently Photobucket and the Jeep-Owner are giving me problems so I will have to try and update later if things hopefully get to working better. 

Mulvihill64 said:
Wow, quite an update  [drool]

Glad to see you're back

janesy said:
X1million

Thanks guys.  My goal is to try and stay frequent on here and ROF and that's about it.. don't have the time I use to back in the day when I could follow several forums and post up often. 

Florpro said:
So what is going back into the Vette that you pulled the motor from?

I have no idea.  I purchased it from Chuck Mosello of Corvettes of Westchester in Ossining, NY and Jeep Speed Shop in Cotati, CA is doing the conversion.  Chuck is building me a 6L80e transmission and outfitting it like an 08 Escalade.  The computer will be from a  2010 Camaro as will some of the other parts.  Most of the parts will be a Camaro/Corvette mixture.  If anyone does an LS3 conversion Motech in Las Vegas and Jeep Speed Shop will likely both tell you the 376/430 is the better decision for the motor (over the 376/480) combined with the 6L80 and the 3.8 Atlas II t-case.  It will idle better, offer the low end torque us Jeep Owners want and the 3.8 case works like a jewel with that combo.  The 4.3 and 5.0 are too much (too low I believe).. in fact the guy I bought my Hemi from installed an LS3 and he had his Atlas II converted from a 5.0 to a 3.8 per Motech's advice.  I have enjoyed working with Chuck, he is very nice, informative and cares!  I wish everyone I deal with would put the effort out that this guy does.  I am not sure yet if I will be using Chuck for the tuning but I would like to if Todd (owner of JSS) is open to the idea.  Given Todd is doing the conversion I need to try and keep things in line with what his experience has proven works.  I will be running a York compressor along the belt line and finally installing my Premier Power Welder that has been sitting around for quite some time.  Likely will have the rig back in February but if all goes smoothly I may have it back sometime in January.. we'll see.  This will by far be one of the most fun mods to date and I'm sure will leave me grinning from ear to ear.   

bobthetj03 date=1476296921 said:
Maybe I'll get lucky one day and see this rig!

You're in the Northern NV/CA area correct?  One day I may be lucky enough to wheel this rig again.  lol. 

So I purchased a new top for the rig, it's a Bestop Twill top.  I am very stoked with the quality of this top, I think it will hold up better than Sailcloth and it shouldn't fade.  I just replaced the top in the fall of 2012 and that top is still in good shape however it faded rather quickly.  When installing the Twill top the fit was very tight however it was perfect.  It wasn't the warmest day when I installed so I think that made it more difficult.  Only thing in my opinion that would make this top better is if it had glass installed vs. the plexy windows, I think the JK version has glass.  Photos of this top are very limited online so here are a few of mine installed. 

Before

After

The top is very thick and once it arrived it was obvious why I paid a hefty price over a typical Wrangler soft top.  I highly recommend this top to all Soft Top sporting Jeep Owners! 

Also wanted to share my new purchase...  A 2017 Aluma 8218 car hauler.  I am super stoked about this purchase and after years of putting it on the back burner I finally have one!  Now it will be no problem to just load up the rig and head to Moab, So Cal etc. and hit the trails anywhere Danielle and I want to go.  Her Jeep (our 05 LJ) will be the expedition rig that will pull the Tear Drop trailer and of course my TJR will be the trail rig.  I will say tho I am now so invested in this rig it will make a difference in which lines I take when on more extreme trails.  Maybe one day when I have more room to store rigs I can have a beater dedicated trail rig, the future will let me know if that is something I want to pursue/invest in.  Anyway here a some pics of the new transporter:

Check out the new ball, it has a tongue weight indicator which might come in handy. 

Given how metal rusts here steel was out of the question.  I think a good truck stop wash every 3-5 years should keep this trailer nice and shiny and maintenance should be minimal (apparently the truck stops have a option with cleaning solutions that clean the aluminum).  I was hoping to put this trailer to use today as there is a 82 Firebird I wanted to snag up in Boise however the guy I was dealing with is a flake so I will not be making that purchase.  I will be hauling the rig down to the Bay area either next month or early January so that will likely be it's first use. 

That trailer is sweet! Good to know on the twill top. Looks to fit "like a glove!" If I was a soft top only owner, I could justify the additional cost of the twill.

Well a bit of an update for the ole LS3 TJ. 

Quite a bit has gone on with this build since my last post so perhaps I can get this thread caught up in time.  The LS3 motor has been installed and running strong for nearly a year now however it was not without its headaches.  I have done some extensive mods to this rig and unfortunately it looks like my prior photos have disappeared or no longer viewable in this thread.  Hopefully the photos going forward stay on the board.  I also need to get some updated photos but have a few I can share tonight. 

Engine managed to fit.  Still need to mount the welder but had her tuned and she is putting out about 340 hp to the rear wheels and 450 hp total.  Very happy with the results as she is extremely fast. 

c9yYxOs.jpg

And this is how she currently sits.

tE7gj1W.jpg

t5VT2eo.jpg

The tranny ended up being a 1500 GMC Denali 6L80 and I went with a 3.8 Atlas II t-case.  One day I will break the rig back down and paint everything frame exposed but for now I have a lot of work to complete and get everything dialed in.  Hopefully I will continue to update the progress here on JO.  I am also doing some major work with the LJ Rubicon Sahara so check out my other thread over the coming months.  That rig is currently with Mr Blaine getting a Savvy mid arm setup and Poison Spyder gear to boot.  Still got em.. my loving money pits. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine