Chevy SS: DD Sports Sedan "Kat"

Actually planning on doing a factory order on a Gobi Rubicon.

I'm just having trouble deciding painted flares and/or painted hard top. Pretty sure I want painted top. I like the look of painted flares, and if I wanted to change later I could source black raiser/cheaper, but they scratch easier. But if I went black now, they would hide scratches better, and be easier/cheaper to replace if I crunched one.  No black wheels.

Attachments

• 20200625_124241.webp
    20200625_124241.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 20200625_124325.webp
    20200625_124325.webp
    153.2 KB · Views: 55
I'd vote against painted flares for a couple of reasons. First being just what you mentioned. Any serious use or abuse will result in scratches and bending. At least from yours truly, it's inevitable. Cuz Jeep! Second, most people wind up swapping or modding them anyway. Just my 2?.

G Beasley said:
Another vote for black flares . Whats your time frame to order one?

TriCity estimated 8-10 weeks order to delivery. Another estimated 6-10, and one that wanted me to buy off the lot said 16-20.

Texas TJ said:
Actually planning on doing a factory order on a Gobi Rubicon.

I'm just having trouble deciding painted flares and/or painted hard top. Pretty sure I want painted top. I like the look of painted flares, and if I wanted to change later I could source black raiser/cheaper, but they scratch easier. But if I went black now, they would hide scratches better, and be easier/cheaper to replace if I crunched one.  No black wheels.

Another vote for black flares. 

While I have hauled all manner of things in my Cherokee, missing a truck was one of the big reasons i finally bought one.

I will always have a truck in the driveway from now on.

Texas TJ said:
TriCity estimated 8-10 weeks order to delivery. Another estimated 6-10, and one that wanted me to buy off the lot said 16-20.
8 - 10 sounds long , but that might be due to the whole Covid mess.

I hate to see the SS go, but understand the practicality issue. Imo the painted flares even out the proportions of the wheel wells a bit better than black flares 

Here is the proposed build sheet.  I plan on placing the order on Monday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200626-132209_Drive.webp
    Screenshot_20200626-132209_Drive.webp
    46.5 KB · Views: 37
Sort of off topic, but basically I wasn't ready, but I watched a 2012 Caprice go for $3350 at the auction.  I could have cried, that would be my Vette replacement, but alas. 

G Beasley said:
You move quick. 

Might as well. I like the deals available on 20s and we're borrowing the Taco until I get a replacement. Dealers aren't willing to budge on in stock JTs due to low inventory.

green50gt said:
Sort of off topic, but basically I wasn't ready, but I watched a 2012 Caprice go for $3350 at the auction.  I could have cried, that would be my Vette replacement, but alas. 

I don't mind the Caprices, but I'd never want a used PPV.

Texas TJ said:
I don't mind the Caprices, but I'd never want a used PPV.

Not for everyone I get it.  This was like a detectives car or whatever so not like there is any feces in the back seat. 

green50gt said:
Not for everyone I get it.  This was like a detectives car or whatever so not like there is any feces in the back seat. 
I think he is referring to the abuse those vehicles see.

We're back!

I purchased this SS in early 2020, a 2017 NGM M6 with roof and spare with 10k miles. A few short months later I sold it with 16k miles, bone stock.

Since then I kept in touch with the new owner in Minnesota. He went all out, LSA supercharger, cam, Flex-fuel, ARH cat-less 2? system to bi-modals, JCS A-pillar triple gauge, BC Forged wheels, larger Toyo R888R tires, Holden conversion (including radio/cluster), full custom clear bra, custom Unspoken Designs headlights, MGW short throw shifter, Commodore Specialities carbon spoiler, and some other things. When running E85 fuel it was set up for 815hp to the wheels!

I told him if he ever sold it to reach out to me, well 1.5 years later he did and we came to an agreement. I flew up to MN, and drove it back to TX this weekend with 26k miles on it. Planning on keeping ?Kat? around for the long haul this time!

SS Overview YouTube video

b68440c9-a3b4-47d4-80ed-5f6324f81dd5-jpeg.296551

c64f9791-9875-4b31-a5ff-8c10688afeed-jpeg.296552

019acfea-02ec-46b0-a3e8-aff9b6136fb5-jpeg.296553

13ef7184-fbe8-43f0-9ad3-e850748e4e2e-jpeg.296554

badmonkey said:
In short, sell a car, let someone else monster mod it, then buy it back? That's a genius plan right there. 😀

Saved a few pennies that way, and all the work was done by a reputable shop.

G Beasley said:
Well this is very cool to read! Congrats!

Thanks! I definitely had some sellers remorse after letting her go. Since 2020 I owned 7 vehicles, aside from my TJ the one I missed the most was the SS. Planning on attending a few upcoming meets/shows.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine