Farm truck and tow rig

RokAddict85

The other Greg
That didn't take long... back in a diesel.  04 slt 3500 with 120k miles, bone stock, including the factory radio!  This is not the high output unfortunately, but i couldn't resist due to excellent shape of paint/ engine/ underside.

Needs a few things right off the bat,  cab lights leak,  driver door switches are broken,  and a shudder while taking off  up to 20 or so which i believe ive figured out to be driveshaft carrier bearing.  Missing rear head rests (that's a new one for me), and needs additional key/ fobs programmed as i think it has key less entry, per the vin sheet. 

Attachments

• 20200722_172624.webp
    20200722_172624.webp
    140.8 KB · Views: 119
Ok, spare key and 2 new fobs taken care of.  I love having a really good locksmith right down the road.  I also wiped down the interior just to get it all fresh / clean (already looked clean but we are in strange times with this virus).  I have ordered a new drivers door switch and control panel combo, only cost 35 dollars!  I also just picked up some clear silicone and plan to fix cab lights sometime over the weekend. 

Looking into options on the carrier bearing, welcome to suggestions if anyone has one, I am thinking I'll just be dropping it off at a local diesel shop to just take care of, and maybe go ahead and replace all rear driveshaft U joints while its out.  We are moving homes right now so I can't have the truck down for long.

Now onto the fun stuff...Yes i will be fully building this truck.  Since I went back to a used/cheaper truck I will eventually pick up  a cheap YJ or similar to drive around in, this will be saved for towing our camper, working around our new mini farm, towing my 'ill get to it eventually TJ', etc. 
So parts I have already ordered:
- edge cts2 digital gauges with expandable pyro sensor, and gauge pod to permanently mount on top of dash.  (wanted the cts3 but not yet available for this model range, and honestly the 2 worked great for 5 years on last truck)
- flo-pro stainless turbo back 4" exhaust with muffler
- S&B intake with dry filter
- New brake controller

The goal is to get it all back in new or like new shape for now and get it reliably towing, then after we are moved in and I get a 2nd vehicle I will be looking at a fully built trans, potentially turbo changes, tuning, etc.

More to come  😀

Another 04 Cummins owner here, although mine is a 2wd HO with a NV5600. Wish my truck was as clean as yours looks to be.

untchabl said:
Another 04 Cummins owner here, although mine is a 2wd HO with a NV5600. Wish my truck was as clean as yours looks to be.

It looks to have been cared for, quite a few maintenance records in the car fax.  I was looking for the more rare early 07 5.9 with G56, but besides being hard to find it was also more expensive.  This has the typical 3rd gen interior shortcomings, but at least i am already familiar with them, and I am pleased with it so far.  What have you done to yours?

I've just been trying to catch up on tons of neglect. When I bought mine it had #6 rod hanging out the side of the block. Swapped in another used engine, new clutch, new starter (#6 rod destroyed it when it exited stage left), new rear tires. Thorough cleaning of the interior. Just replaced every part of the AC system, waiting on one more AC line to come in. Put a used Smarty Jr. programmer on it a few weeks ago.

Still have alot I want to do, new stereo, redo headache rack on flatbed, full exhaust with muffler, etc.

untchabl said:
I've just been trying to catch up on tons of neglect. When I bought mine it had #6 rod hanging out the side of the block. Swapped in another used engine, new clutch, new starter (#6 rod destroyed it when it exited stage left), new rear tires. Thorough cleaning of the interior. Just replaced every part of the AC system, waiting on one more AC line to come in. Put a used Smarty Jr. programmer on it a few weeks ago.

Still have alot I want to do, new stereo, redo headache rack on flatbed, full exhaust with muffler, etc.

Dude that is some serious work.  Do you know what caused it to let go... ive heard coolant flow to rear cylinders isn't great.

G Beasley said:
Nice truck , I'm back in a diesel as well . Its really tough to tow with anything else once you have had one.

What did you end up with?  Yep... I'll admit... my old truck was loud and annoying at times,  but i regret selling it.  Some things i am doing the same,  some things i am doing different,  so at least im learning lol.  The power (once improved a bit) is addicting as well.

RokAddict85 said:
What did you end up with?  Yep... I'll admit... my old truck was loud and annoying at times,  but i regret selling it.  Some things i am doing the same,  some things i am doing different,  so at least im learning lol.  The power (once improved a bit) is addicting as well.
I picked up a 99 F 350 7.3 Crew cab.

RokAddict85 said:
Dude that is some serious work.  Do you know what caused it to let go... ive heard coolant flow to rear cylinders isn't great.

Not sure what caused it to let go. I bought the truck with the engine damage. When I was looking for a replacement engine, I found several that had the same issue with #6 rod coming out the side of the block. I wouldn't say it's common but it does happen.

Minor update... got the new drivers door switches in, i can now adjust mirrors!  I also ordered the curt class v hitch and a new multi ball to make switching between trailers easier.

Attachments

• 20200726_193855.webp
    20200726_193855.webp
    128.1 KB · Views: 89
untchabl said:
Did this replace the 2500 Hemi that you had? If so, what didn't you like about the gas truck? Was it a 6.4 or 5.7?

Yep this replaced the 6.4 Hemi.  I didnt really dislike anything about the 2500, it had a good ride, sounded great with my customized MBRP exhaust, and was comfy.  Gas mileage was pretty poor I will say, got about 7-8 towing the camper and 11 avg overall.  I did always drive it in V8 mode though (my normal routine, put truck in drive, click gear selector down button once, click up 7 times, it uses all 8 gears and does not drop out of 8 cylinders). 

I regret selling my 04.5 2500....and the dually will be nice for towing the camper.  This being a cheaper truck I got some money back, cheaper insurance, etc.  3rd Gen is my favorite, I am happy to be back in one.....and my wife doesn't mind if I get a cheaper wrangler to daily drive as well so that is win/win!

Brake controller installed and got my gauges in as well, still waiting on dash pod to permanently install.

Attachments

• 20200729_190340.webp
    20200729_190340.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 20200729_190344.webp
    20200729_190344.webp
    33 KB · Views: 76
RokAddict85 said:
Took 651lbs to scrap metal recycling... and got my curb weight with 1/2 tank fuel.  Sitting right around 7,850 lbs.
Hmm , that makes me wonder what my sooper booty weighs ...

G Beasley said:
Hmm , that makes me wonder what my sooper booty weighs ...

A friend once told me that his '03 (7.3l, manual trans, Aluminum tray bed, same wheels as yours) clocked in at 8900lbs unloaded...

...I never saw a weight slip to verify that, but it definitely strained a 9000lb two-post lift.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine