Humble beginnings

Heilan Rambler

I've previously owned a 73 wagoneer, and a 97 tj.  I traded the tj for my current Cherokee when I needed more lockable storage for my dog training business.  I bought the yj as a project that I intended to build and keep and then get rid of the xj.  Upon further reflection, I decided that the xj would make a better, more practical vehicle for a combination daily driver and get away vehicle.  I have a lot of ideas about where I want to take this jeep.  I'm looking forward to advice and input from the members of this forum and getting to know y'all.  The pictures in my introduction show the xj as it was last year.  This is how it sits now with new wheels and rubber.  I looking forward to meeting some of y'all at the upcoming JOKE.

As she sits

Attachments

• IMG_2429.webp
    IMG_2429.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 61
Its a 97 and not nearly as clean as it appears in the picture.  There's a little rot in the passenger lower rear quarter that I plan on taking care of with a cut and fold. This will allow the bumper I'm planning to wrap around towards the rear tires, placing stronger tubing where the rotten sheet metal is now. 

Currently no flares at all on the front.  I'm still trimming.  Hopefully the cut and fold in the rear quarters will be enough out back.  I'm thinking about napier flat flares

Looks great man. What size tires you running?

And by the way, I dig the rims.

Attachments

• 20170814_190150.webp
    20170814_190150.webp
    88.3 KB · Views: 58
PineyXJ said:
Looks great man. What size tires you running?

And by the way, I dig the rims.
The tires are 33x10.5 BFG AT.  The wheels are the same type I had on my TJ.  I think they look great on Wranglers and Cherokees.
G Beasley said:
In addition to looking good ,it has a lot of secrets inside of it as well...
I assume the secrets of which you speak are the cargo and chuck boxes (since I never mentioned my smuggling sideline).  They are trial projects to work out the bugs before I invest in the final build of each.  I had been thinking of cutting down the chuck box to make it more manageable, especially after loading it solo on Sunday morning.  However, on the way home I came up with a way to maintain the same space but make it much more manageable.  Also thanks for the compliment but I think it looks pretty rough.  At least for the time being.

If by "rough" you mean "not painted", then sure, but some people go for the natural look.  The fit and finish are great.  Clever design you have.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine