Humble beginnings

The pulls on my panels are in dire need of some attention.  I was trying to think of an alternative, like an old style truck panel.  I hate plastic and I hate grey. Grey plastic totally sucks to me.  The only way I would be happy with the stock panels and trim is if I could get a complete tan interior.  They seem to be few and far between.

Heilan Rambler said:
The pulls on my panels are in dire need of some attention.  I was trying to think of an alternative, like an old style truck panel.  I hate plastic and I hate grey. Grey plastic totally sucks to me.  The only way I would be happy with the stock panels and trim is if I could get a complete tan interior.  They seem to be few and far between.
Mine is tan and black , I like how it looks much better as well.

I decided to go ahead and get started on my rear bumper.  Since I don't have room for a 33" tire in the cargo area and I'm not going to carry one on the roof ( kind of gets in the way of the canoe ), I'm  going to eventually be adding a tire carrier.  I am mocking it up in 3/16" plywood since I have some pieces of 2x4 tube, 3/16" wall and 5' long. 
  Once I got the bumper and brackets off, I made some wood supports in the shape of the bumper profile to bolt on in the bracket location.  After the center section was mocked up I started on the sides and how to tie them into the bumper, going from almost 7" in the back to 4" on the sides.  After having previously done the cut and fold on the rear quarters, the bottom of the 4" tube sections will still be higher than the original sheet metal.

Attachments

• IMG_2516.webp
    IMG_2516.webp
    94.5 KB · Views: 35
  It looks like it hangs down pretty low but it's  really only a hair lower than the stock one and actually has more clearance since I pulled the trailer hitch.  I got started on the sides but it got too dark for photos.  I'll get some when I resume tomorrow morning.

Heilan Rambler said:
  It looks like it hangs down pretty low but it's  really only a hair lower than the stock one and actually has more clearance since I pulled the trailer hitch.  I got started on the sides but it got too dark for photos.  I'll get some when I resume tomorrow morning.

I like the profile, can't wait to see it finished.

Finished the mock up.  One side anyway, which is really all I need to get started on the real thing. Made the turn and the tapered ends.

Attachments

• IMG_2522.webp
    IMG_2522.webp
    64.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2524.webp
    IMG_2524.webp
    125.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2525.webp
    IMG_2525.webp
    118 KB · Views: 42
The side pieces were left short to simplify putting it together.  On the real deal I will just add on whatever additional length is required to bring them to where they need to be.

Nice attention to detail. But of course I didn't expect any less considering what you've done with your previous woodworking / storage in the back of the XJ.

I was under the Cherokee, brainstorming on the construction of my bumper brackets, and realized I really have a crappy shackle angle.  Does anyone have any recommendations to improve said angle.  I was thinking about relocation brackets, if i can avoid any additional lift.  Any other ways that I'm not aware of?

Heilan Rambler said:
I was under the Cherokee, brainstorming on the construction of my bumper brackets, and realized I really have a crappy shackle angle.  Does anyone have any recommendations to improve said angle.  I was thinking about relocation brackets, if i can avoid any additional lift.  Any other ways that I'm not aware of?
Pictures help us think...

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine