Hydro Blue JKL build

Hendrix

I did it again, spent the last year driving a VW instead of a Jeep.  I never did feel just right.  I went down to the dealer to just look and drove home with a 2016 Jeep Wrangler 24S in Hydro Blue.  Plans will change I am sure as the Jeep gets a few miles on it.  
Long term I plan on picking up where Jeep left off and build my own version of the JKL.  This is a 10" body stretch and a 12" WB stretch.  AT that time I will stretch the hard top to fit the new body length and build a custom 2" DOM tube roll cage.  
Till then I plan on enjoying the freedom of owning a new Jeep that drives oh so good.  
First mods,  painted grill, painted wheels, 35s, 4:56 gears and a AEV programmer.  

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    42.4 KB · Views: 387
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    54.1 KB · Views: 412
  • image.webp
    image.webp
    48.6 KB · Views: 400
98tjcomeonuh date=1466642242 said:
What color is that grill?
Same color I put on Dumpsters grill.  It's called Polished metal from a 12 Honda Accord.  I have the paint code at work.  I will post it tomorrow.  

Sundowner date=1466643852 said:
Sounds fun!  Question: why only a 10"/12" stretch?
https://jklwrangler.com/
10" frame stretch and 2-3 front stretch.  To make it the perfect roomy JKL for all kinds of offroad and on road terrain.  And I can't decide if the end game will be 37s or 40s.  

bobthetj03 date=1466654244 said:
37's with that stretch would be proportionally appealing me thinks.
40"s. 37"s on a TJ variant. 
You gotta remember the shortbus size of these rigs Jimbo!!

Hendrix said:
https://jklwrangler.com/
10" frame stretch and 2-3 front stretch.  To make it the perfect roomy JKL for all kinds of offroad and on road terrain.  And I can't decide if the end game will be 37s or 40s. 

Looks like they do a clean job.  What all is going to be involved in your hardtop stretch?  Are you going to re-do the side-window glass or stretch around it?

Regarding 37's or 40's: how much work are you willing to do to make a 40" tire actually functional on a 106"-ish wheelbase?

Sundowner date=1466683141 said:
Regarding 37's or 40's: how much work are you willing to do to make a 40" tire actually functional on a 106"-ish wheelbase?
Well, he seems to be willing to cut up a 2016 and stretch it.  Id say he is willing to do a lot of work.  
37s on my 104-5" LJ was just about perfect for driving and wheeling in my neck of the woods.  Look forward to watching another great build.

LowJ said:
Well, he seems to be willing to cut up a 2016 and stretch it.  Id say he is willing to do a lot of work. 
37s on my 104-5" LJ was just about perfect for driving and wheeling in my neck of the woods.  Look forward to watching another great build.

I'm not saying that it can't be done - and it's really not even that difficult - but even if all other things are considered equal there's still a lot of difference between workable 37's and workable 40's on the same 106" wheelbase.  It's worth noting, however, that those differences magnify and add a lot of difficulty/expense when you introduce "full-bodied rig" into the equation.  Built JK axles can handle most 37's and moderate wheeling, but 40's are full-width one-tons and fully-highlined territory...and that can make for interesting problems to solve.  I'm looking forwards to seeing how the guts of this thing are going to develop.  👍

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine