Indecision 2.0 A TJ Dedicated to Abuse

I think what Beasley is trying to say is that normally on an oribtal valve there is no real "dead spot" in center like a conventional box. So the steering wants to constantly steer left or right.

The_Eng date=1415736216 said:
I think what Beasley is trying to say is that normally on an oribtal valve there is no real "dead spot" in center like a conventional box. So the steering wants to constantly steer left or right.
Isn't a load reactive orbital supposed to mitigate that?

The_Eng date=1415736216 said:
That is exactly what I am saying .

NWexplorer said:
Isn't a load reactive orbital supposed to mitigate that?
It is supposed to , but it was a constant war of left and right. I yanked it and put a PSC setup on and the difference was night and day . Between the two setups I had more money in steering my samurai than I paid for it.

G Beasley date=1415749877 said:
That is exactly what I am saying .
It is supposed to , but it was a constant war of left and right. I yanked it and put a PSC setup on and the difference was night and day . Between the two setups I had more money in steering my samurai than I paid for it.
From what I read, the longer the wheel base, the better the manners. Also 7 degrees of caster for return to center.

Some guys say it's almost like stock and some say it's undrivable. One guy said both until he cranked his caster up and adjusted his toe. 

Hendrix said:
Just order a JK steering box. Easy to package and will allow a lot of stretch.

I thought about that, but apparently the only good box is the early 07 Delphi box that is uber expensive. The later ones are Chinese? I suppose I could get a PSC, but that's $$$ as well.

NWexplorer date=1415807858 said:
From what I read, the longer the wheel base, the better the manners. Also 7 degrees of caster for return to center.

Some guys say it's almost like stock and some say it's undrivable. One guy said both until he cranked his caster up and adjusted his toe.

I know a couple guys I wheel with that will drive their trail rig with full hydro on the streets every now and then and they have no issues whatsoever. Said theirs returns to center no problem. Haven't seen it first hand tho.

NWexplorer date=1415807858 said:

I was at 94" of wheelbase with 6 degrees of caster . I am sure they have improved it since I had it , but with as good as the PSC setup worked I will go that route when I need more steering. I also like that I will still have manual steering in a worst case scenario.

G Beasley date=1415841396 said:
I was at 94" of wheelbase with 6 degrees of caster . I am sure they have improved it since I had it , but with as good as the PSC setup worked I will go that route when I need more steering. I also like that I will still have manual steering in a worst case scenario.

Ok thanks... I hate to waste the money and not be happy. Lots to think about.

Like...

[font=Verdana, Arial]To avoid having to cut the oval tubed rear axle I have down, AND keep a 80" track width, I need to have deep backspaced wheels. Problem with deep backspaced wheels are they interfere with high steer... Unless the wheel is bigger like a 20. Ford has some pretty interesting stock 20" wheels that I could run until the money fairy brings me more money for beadlocks, and Nitto has a 12.50" wide 37" high tire for them. Load range E though.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial]Am I being stupid in even thinking about it?[/font]

Attachments

• 00000_9aUkANVW4gQ_600x450.webp
    00000_9aUkANVW4gQ_600x450.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 217
ShaunSweeney date=1415914312 said:
Yeah that is just plain wrong. Wait until you have the caps for the bead locks.
The only pictures of Jeeps I could find with a quick search on 20's and 37's are JK's. Maybe that's a sign.  [laugh]

357transam said:
What is the concern with keeping the 80" track width? Need to keep it that narrow to fit on a trailer?

Trailer is around 82 between the fenders. There is a nearby 4x4 park I like to go to that has metal barriers set 80" apart. That, and northwest trails are generally very tight. I'd like to be closer to 75" track width, but 37's, 75" track width, and 14" suspension travel would be a no go without some serious modifications.

G Beasley date=1415923217 said:
I dont want 20's on my tow rig much less my wheeler. Sell a niner and get the correct back spaced wheels.
I think the new rigs look nice with them - of course they are close to a 35" tire, so the sidewall is about the same as they were when they had 32's.

cescuzzy said:
Don't waste your money, get the beadlocks. -Scuzz

I think that's what I'm going to do. I made a call to Jantz, and he said they can narrow my Sterling 10.5, so that's the plan.

NWexplorer date=1415939384 said:
I think the new rigs look nice with them - of course they are close to a 35" tire, so the sidewall is about the same as they were when they had 32's.

I think that's what I'm going to do. I made a call to Jantz, and he said they can narrow my Sterling 10.5, so that's the plan.
What beadlocks are you looking at?

The_Eng date=1415983468 said:
Let me know what you decide on and I'll get you pricing
Do I have to pay tax since I live in Washington? If not, how about 4 Trail ready 17X8.5   4.5" BS 8 on 170 with the slim ring. If they offer will-call, I can run up there and pick them up to save shipping.

NWexplorer date=1415987533 said:
Do I have to pay tax since I live in Washington? If not, how about 4 Trail ready 17X8.5   4.5" BS 8 on 170 with the slim ring. If they offer will-call, I can run up there and pick them up to save shipping.
Unfortunately yes, you will have to pay tax since we have a store there, but I can ship them direct to you for free!

You can do 111" wheelbase have six " uptravel with a D60 up front and have steering with a stock drilled tj box.
Just takes a bit of ingenuity, full hydro and highway driving isn't a pleasant experience, my  wheelin bud took his off and designed a bellcrank steering setup with hydro assist and now wheels and street drives his Jeep with pleasure again, instead of white knuckeling it on the highway

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine