Indecision 2.0 A TJ Dedicated to Abuse

aw12345 date=1416028520 said:
full hydro and highway driving isn't a pleasant experience, my  wheelin bud took his off and designed a bellcrank steering setup with hydro assist and now wheels and street drives his Jeep with pleasure again, instead of white knuckeling it on the highway
See I'm not crazy !  😀

Since I'm going to narrow the rear end, I think I'm going back to the plan of a tapped stock box and assist. I'll rotate / move the box to get 4-5" or so stretch. That and 6" rear stretch should get me a reasonable wheel base.

NWexplorer date=1416067026 said:
Since I'm going to narrow the rear end, I think I'm going back to the plan of a tapped stock box and assist. I'll rotate / move the box to get 4-5" or so stretch. That and 6" rear stretch should get me a reasonable wheel base.
This sounds like a solid plan that will retain good , safe , solid steering.

Sundowner date=1416112508 said:
Safe lets you do things that are decidedly not boring.  Nice pile-o-Currie you have, there.
I suppose that's a good point. 

This time I decided to use the same 1.25" shank joint on the uppers and lowers.  I'm going to use .120 wall 1.75" uppers and 2" X .25" lowers.

To  keepi it narrow H2 rims have a lot of back spacing and clear  hi steer arms.
Also Trailready  will  make you wheels with 5.5" backspacing

aw12345 date=1416168840 said:
To  keepi it narrow H2 rims have a lot of back spacing and clear  hi steer arms.
Also Trailready  will  make you wheels with 5.5" backspacing
The high steer arms that are sold for the 05 and up axle  go up to a max of 5.25" BS. I'm not sure that takes into account the clearance needed for the heim or if that is a factor.

I finished playing around with my ZJ's and was able to start tearing the TJ apart. Got the carpet out, top off, doors off, and rear seat out.  Here's a look at why it was only $2500

I'm thinking about cutting all the damage out and welding in a patch panel and then throwing the corner guard over that.

So... Last couple of builds I've done a spread sheet for all the things I need to buy and the prices associated with them so I can order everything in the order I need them and try to keep in mind what I need.

The list is getting expensive, and looking a lot like the last build. So expensive, that I'm not sure I can financially get it done by the summer. Part of the point of this was I could have something to beat on that wasn't $30K, and this is headed right there in a hurry. 

I was thinking about significantly scaling the build down, like:

35" tires / beadlocks
HPD30 / 8.8 or JK D30 / 44 
Coil suspension
Stock steering gear.
5-6" stretch rear 2-3" front
I still want an auto so the engine swap would still happen

I was thinking the difference in capability between 35's and 37's wouldn't be very significant, especially when you consider the overall package would be around 7-800 pounds lighter. I would have to be mindful of the weaknesses of the front axle, but I did beat the "Beast" on 37's pretty well with a JKD30.....

Thoughts?

Should I just put my purse down and continue on with the "big boy" build?

If feasible I vote purse down considering your building this sucker to wheel. Sometimes it just isn't as fun trying to do "big boy" trails when you are only on 35's needing spotting and stacking and your buddies with buggies/Jeeps on 40s are driving over everything like it's a Sunday drive. Really it's surprising what that extra couple inches of tire does.

I have slowed my build down a lot because eventually I know that if I do mid arms, outboard etc I'm just going to be cutting all that junk off when I go bigger. After reading your builds I know that you would do the same so why not do it right the first time.

I got stock wheel base TJ on35's and a  stretched big boy  TJ on either 37'  or 40's.
There is no comparison in capability, ride quality, nor the amount of abuse you can dish out to it without fear  of breakage

Sounds very much like the direction I'd like to go with my TJ. If you decide to go this route, I think the JK axles would be the best option, though I'd wait for a rubi 44 front instead of a d30 if your intention is beating on this rig.

NWexplorer said:
Thoughts?

If I was in your position - and I am - I'd stop for a few minutes and form a list of goals for the vehicle.  This is not a parts list; things like "37-inch tires" don't belong on it, but concepts like "cheap to build" or "keep up with the big-boy rigs" or "has to pass inspection" most certainly do.  I think that dedicating a few minutes to re-clarifying and re-solidifying your concept would be time well spent.

NWexplorer date=1416185837 said:
I was thinking about significantly scaling the build down, like:

35" tires / beadlocks
HPD30 / 8.8 or JK D30 / 44
Coil suspension
Stock steering gear.
5-6" stretch rear 2-3" front
I still want an auto so the engine swap would still happen

I was thinking the difference in capability between 35's and 37's wouldn't be very significant, especially when you consider the overall package would be around 7-800 pounds lighter. I would have to be mindful of the weaknesses of the front axle, but I did beat the "Beast" on 37's pretty well with a JKD30.....

Thoughts?

Should I just put my purse down and continue on with the "big boy" build?

I dont know how to double quote on here but sundowner had some wise words. Think about how you plan to use the jeep and build accordingly. If this is the jeep to build big and run everything then maybe continue with the 37" tire plan and big boy axles. You could always dial down the cost by backhalfing the frame and keeping coils instead of COs. But at the same time you can really run ALOT with 35s and a stretch especially if you dont care about body damage.

At the end of the day $$ is always a huge factor so decide accordingly.  👍

Sundowner said:
If I was in your position - and I am - I'd stop for a few minutes and form a list of goals for the vehicle.  This is not a parts list; things like "37-inch tires" don't belong on it, but concepts like "cheap to build" or "keep up with the big-boy rigs" or "has to pass inspection" most certainly do.  I think that dedicating a few minutes to re-clarifying and re-solidifying your concept would be time well spent.

I would even take this one step further; once you have your list, try to consolidate your build direction into one effective sentence.  This will can help make what you set out to do clear.

-Scuzz

Sundowner date=1416237436 said:
If I was in your position - and I am - I'd stop for a few minutes and form a list of goals for the vehicle.  This is not a parts list; things like "37-inch tires" don't belong on it, but concepts like "cheap to build" or "keep up with the big-boy rigs" or "has to pass inspection" most certainly do.  I think that dedicating a few minutes to re-clarifying and re-solidifying your concept would be time well spent.
I dont often do this but I agree with Sunny on this one.  I see this a lot with the guys I wheel/ build with who have lofty goals for their "next" rig and then buy whatever thinking they can build it right, then buy whatever parts they find in the first 2 days of searching and completely loose their vision for the vehicle and end up selling it or "trading up" for the next pos they own and start the process over.  

I spend a lot of time researching what I want and what will get me to that point.  I have bought stuff and have replaced it because of a lack of vision or goal.  You have been through a few very nicely built rigs that most of us would be very happy to have owned.

G Beasley date=1416187651 said:
Sometimes less is more . I would think that if you keep it cheap you might be happier with it long term.
You have a good point, but I'm not sure what keeps me happy in the long term. Maybe I just need medication?  [headscratch]

Moabrubi said:
If feasible I vote purse down considering your building this sucker to wheel. Sometimes it just isn't as fun trying to do "big boy" trails when you are only on 35's needing spotting and stacking and your buddies with buggies/Jeeps on 40s are driving over everything like it's a Sunday drive. Really it's surprising what that extra couple inches of tire does. I have slowed my build down a lot because eventually I know that if I do mid arms, outboard etc I'm just going to be cutting all that junk off when I go bigger. After reading your builds I know that you would do the same so why not do it right the first time.

That's a good point. This is going to mainly be a wheeling rig, and I'm not sure how enjoyable it will be to have D30 strength issues in the back of my mind when I want to do something stupid. 

aw12345 said:
I got stock wheel base TJ on35's and a stretched big boy TJ on either 37' or 40's. There is no comparison in capability, ride quality, nor the amount of abuse you can dish out to it without fear of breakage

Actually, one of the major factors you just pointed out: Ride quality. That's gonna be pretty important on this one. I really don't want a rig that beats me up, and I also don't want to fear breakage.

Mulvihill64 said:
Sounds very much like the direction I'd like to go with my TJ. If you decide to go this route, I think the JK axles would be the best option, though I'd wait for a rubi 44 front instead of a d30 if your intention is beating on this rig.

I think a set of D44 JK axles would be great for my build. I wish I started this build back when you could get new  JK rubicon axles for a reasonable price.

LowJ said:
Dedicated to abuse doesnt not include a 30 front.

I would have to change the direction (and name) for this build if I did the D30 for sure. 

Sundowner said:
If I was in your position - and I am - I'd stop for a few minutes and form a list of goals for the vehicle. This is not a parts list; things like "37-inch tires" don't belong on it, but concepts like "cheap to build" or "keep up with the big-boy rigs" or "has to pass inspection" most certainly do. I think that dedicating a few minutes to re-clarifying and re-solidifying your concept would be time well spent.

That's actually a good idea. It's funny, I'm better at planning everyone else's rig than I am my own. I need to open a shop.  [weld]

Angrytj said:
I dont know how to double quote on here but sundowner had some wise words. Think about how you plan to use the jeep and build accordingly. If this is the jeep to build big and run everything then maybe continue with the 37" tire plan and big boy axles. You could always dial down the cost by backhalfing the frame and keeping coils instead of COs. But at the same time you can really run ALOT with 35s and a stretch especially if you dont care about body damage. At the end of the day $$ is always a huge factor so decide accordingly. 👍

I'm going to be well armored, so body damage will be mitigated a bit.  I blame a lot of the direction of this build by what my buddy does with his YJ. He is absolutely abusive with that thing.  Agreed, $$$ is a huge factor, for sure!

LowJ said:
I dont often do this but I agree with Sunny on this one. I see this a lot with the guys I wheel/ build with who have lofty goals for their "next" rig and then buy whatever thinking they can build it right, then buy whatever parts they find in the first 2 days of searching and completely loose their vision for the vehicle and end up selling it or "trading up" for the next pos they own and start the process over. I spend a lot of time researching what I want and what will get me to that point. I have bought stuff and have replaced it because of a lack of vision or goal. You have been through a few very nicely built rigs that most of us would be very happy to have owned.

Thanks for the compliment. I research everything to death, I'm just depressed at the bottom line to get this thing driving.   I really don't want to be "done" and then have dreams of doing something different and starting over again. 

cescuzzy said:
I would even take this one step further; once you have your list, try to consolidate your build direction into one effective sentence. This will can help make what you set out to do clear. -Scuzz

Durable, enjoyable, powerful, comfortable, reliable.

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, put my purse down, and get this ting build right.

I may have to sell both my ZJ's to get it done, but so be it.  If there is something I've learned, it is there are always more Jeeps to be bought.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine