Jeffro06's 2006 Rubicon

Kentrol hood latches:

Met the UPS man at lunch, took about 10 minutes to install my knew Kentrol hood latches:

i-t4tH27J-XL.jpg

i-3FJ2KCf-XL.jpg

I can't wait until my sliders are ready to go back on.

JK turn signal mod:

I did the JK signals tonight.

Things went really well........for the first one.

i-Xm8rZtj-L.jpg

I think I got them pretty even. I made a template off the first one and taped it in place for the second one. 

I didn't have to remove the headlights, but I removed the rings to make sure I could see behind the headlights, so I didn't drill into something. I fed the stock wiring in from behind in a pre-existing opening. 

It turned out pretty good. I painted the exposed metal black, to prevent rusting.

i-MMmZzgM-L.jpg

The drill kicked back on me on the second one.....causing a few scratches to the grill.....🙁 Oh well, I'll get some touch up paint, it's not a show Jeep.

For the side markers I just used the stock bulb. I pushed it through the holes the MC LED's go into, and they snapped right in. 

i-trNLXDs-XL.jpg

I don't know if this will be the final set up, but if works out, it'll stay. It was free. 

i-JbWDLGg-XL.jpg

I painted the housing the bulb sits in black. I also painted the yellow bolts black.

The lights look pretty even.

i-svvkzW9-L.jpg

I like it. Well, except for the scratches I caused. 🙁 I've often contemplated painting the grill black, but for now I'll just get some color matched touch up.

The hole thing took less than an hour.

i-HsGhbkC-L.jpg

Edit 1/3/14: For the record, I used a 3 1/8" hole saw.

Rear flares:

This afternoon I was just settling into my recliner to watch some motocross when the FedEx guy showed up and dropped a big box on my porch. I was like wth?

Much to my surprise it was my rear flares! The e-mail I got said they should arrive by the 21st, so I wasn't expecting them, especially on a Saturday.

I jumped up out of my recliner and put them on.

Before:
i-Pgfzw3z-L.jpg

After:
i-88trWcv-L.jpg

i-BZw5NSM-L.jpg

i-vG2XSm7-L.jpg

i-sbs94vZ-L.jpg

i-zVSq3p7-L.jpg

i-5x9hthg-X2.jpg

If you haven't figured it out yet, I went with Xenon 4" flat flares.

Hopefully the sliders will be done next week.

Hood decal:

i-mfpndxP-XL.jpg

As seen from the driver seat...

i-cgLN5Lr-XL.jpg

It was a pretty easy install. They have a video that shows you just how to do it. After I washed the hood off (it was kind of muddy, thanks to the muddy road I had just been down :D) I just followed the instructions. The wife helped me. It looks pretty good. I have one little bubble, near the washer that I can't get out, but we'll see if that changes after a bit.

Tranny cooler:

BRay said:
Now that the cat's a$$ of tranny coolers.  It has the good AN fittings and good push-lock hose so you are sure to get a good connections to avoid leaks.  Is it wired direct to the battery?  If they have you going into a circuit then I would make sure you to use a relay along with the fuse they supply.  I'll join in on the gathering when your ready to install.

It's here!

i-t23tZ54-X2.jpg

It doesn't wire directly to the battery, it has to be wired to a source that is "keyed" so it doesn't run while the jeep isn't. 

It appears to have everything it needs with it....except tranny fluid of course.

Making sure I hook up the hoses correctly and getting it wired are the two biggest things that scare me, getting it attached to the jeep is the easy part. I also wonder just how much fluid is going to pour out on me when I unhook the hose at the radiator.

Kevin building the tire carrier:

It's been a year in the planning, and it was finally a day in the making, of my new tire carrier. ksliovich designed and built it, with a little grunt work help from me. 🙂

Here's how it came together. 

i-2SfZ4Jq-X2.jpg

Kev setting up the plasma table to cut out the pieces.

i-c4wZ2Hx-X2.jpg

Let the cutting begin.

i-Drzsz6M-X2.jpg

My Jeep, ready for a long day in the shop.

i-cRfH4gq-X2.jpg

Puzzle pieces.

i-W6FdL7S-X2.jpg

The welding begins.

i-6jTJsXX-X2.jpg

I cleaned up the parts for welding.

i-NTq32cJ-X2.jpg

Getting the bumper prepped for the carrier.

i-dPKWSnR-X2.jpg

Some said it couldn't be done.

i-gJCc82Z-X2.jpg

To that, Kev says.....

i-8VXTMCM-X2.jpg

More welding.

i-jWPLFcN-X2.jpg

I decided to remove the stock license plate holder.

i-rX9zGjp-X2.jpg

Welding parts to the Jeep.

i-Q9xzh9p-X2.jpg

It's starting to look like a tire carrier.

i-fVLTBJ8-X2.jpg

Welding to the backside of the the bumper was fun for Kev. (The bumper is welded to the Jeep)

i-gwP2rNZ-X2.jpg

It's starting to look like something.

i-cXpVSD9-X2.jpg

The day turned into night.

i-Mp2ZNkr-X2.jpg

The welding continued.

i-J5HGkdj-X2.jpg

It's a tire carrier!

i-HkBgqjQ-X2.jpg

There's always some fine tuning, in the custom world.

i-9JjdRKL-X2.jpg

Done...well, except for the painting.

i-BcJFST3-X2.jpg

Kev taking some photos for his scrapbook.

I arrived at Kevin's shop at 9AM, I left for home at about 2:45AM....and arrived home an hour later. 

We stopped once to eat lunch, run to Farm and Fleet, and stop buy Kevin's house. I made one trip to Fastenal, and at one point we talked about dinner.

For the record, not one alcoholic beverage was consumed during the build.

Thank again Kevin......if the carrier falls off on the way to Colorado, you'll never hear the end of it. :D

All the pics I took.

Carrier cont:

AngryTJ;23161273 said:
Looks great man. Im interested in seeing how the latch works

It works pretty good. 

The red ball is a pull up pin, that keeps the latch from opening, accidentally.

i-s86smMX-X2.jpg

There is another safety latch on the hinge side, that keep the carrier from closing on you, when you open it all the way, which is good on hills.

i-vVGHx2H-X2.jpg

Plasti-dipped grill:

Had the day off, tinkered with the Jeep....

Before:
i-L26gCGQ-X2.jpg

That is a pretty old pic....the thimble happened some time ago.

After:

i-H9QbLMM-X2.jpg

Tried a little pasti-dip to see if I liked the black grill.

I do. I may end up having it painted someday.

The_Eng said:
We have great deals on regear packages, but you would have to drive to Colorado :D
I should have stopped in back in August on my way home from Ouray, it would have made my drive home a bit easier. LOL

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine