Project Heavy Metal XJ- Diggers saga

Etatum

Project Heavy Metal.

The purpose of this build thread is to document my family?s life experiences, including everything good and bad, that come from owning and modifying a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport that we have affectionately named Digger.

Digger came into our lives due to a series of unforeseen events, that changed both my view of priorities as well as how I see an automobile. I am the proud father of two beautiful daughters, the second of which came into the world a bit sooner than expected. This situation lead to a bit of a financial pinch at the time, ultimately ending my fast car addiction. I was always interested in cars, especially ones that were fast and loud.

Unfortunately , sick babies and fast cars don?t mix well and I needed something a bit more practical. Growing up in Colorado, I spent plenty of time in the mountains in the back of a pickup bouncing up old logging roads and mountain passes. Knowing and believing fully that eventually the little one would get bigger and healthier,  I decided that simple offroading was something the whole family could enjoy. The short search began for something practical, cheap, readily available and with the potential to become something more when the times got easier. A Jeep Cherokee seemed to fit the bill, and within a couple days I found what I was looking for.

Digger was a straight, clean and bone stock Cherokee, with zero rust  and about 75k miles. The A/C  didn?t work, and there was oil coming from everywhere. It?s hot here in OK and this gave the perfect excuse to knock $1,000 off of the asking price. After a short time at the little car lot, I drove Digger home and proceeded to fix the aforementioned issues.

It was within a couple of weeks of ownership, my wife took the little ones to go see family in Colorado. I had burned through all of my vacation, so that left me home alone with my new 4x4. Time to go wheeling!

I quickly learned that mud holes in OK are not to be trusted, and took my new jeep (still with paper tag) belly deep in some nasty stuff, hydrolocked the engine and soaked the carpet.

OOPS

(Insert pic of flooded jeep here.)

Thankfully we weren?t out there alone, and within a couple hours got the motor dried out and fired up with some ether. A short 30 min drive home with the floorboards soaked, lead to a completely gutted interior and some power washer action.  The mass backing on the carpet was ruined, and promptly removed. By the end of the weekend the carpet was dried, reinstalled and clean. I replaced the o2 sensors that fried from being submerged while hot, flushed all the fluids in the driveline and threw in some new plugs. I bought a cheap scanner to clear the faults, and was good to go before momma got home!! This made it easier to break the news that my soccer dad jeep was no longer just that!
I continued to drive Digger stock for another year and a half wheeling when time allowed.

In preparation for a trip back home to Colorado for some camping and light trailriding, I needed some more space for luggage and the what not. With a big dog ?

and four humans, the back of Digger was way overpacked. Store bought roof racks were all way too expensive, and too small for my tastes so I figured I would just make one.

This is when the modding began.I bought a cheap welding helmet and busted out the harbor freight welder, and slowly but surely tried to teach myself to weld. The end product actually ended up decent, and stayed on top of Digger for a few years.

After flooding the interior and removing the sound deadening, the amount of road noise was beyond what I wanted to tolerate so, in with some sound deadening!

I also purchased the first piece of armor ,  a JCR stage 2 rear bumper. The hitch mount allowed me to make another basket for the rear, which when coupled with the roof rack and 6 heavy breathers, along all our junk, taxed the aging stock suspension to exhaustion!

I made the trip to Colorado and even hit some of the easier trails. Tincup, 10 mile road, Old Monarch and Tincup . We had a great time but I quickly realized that Digger was going to need further upgrades to continue down this path.

The rocks on Tincup obliterated the stock control arms and bushings, and riding on 29 inch tires was less than smooth. The front diff cover took a beating from my ? less than concerned? approach on the rocks, and even with stock tires, the extra load and weight  (along with underestimation of incline on my part) overheated the transmission to the point fluid boiled out the trans vent. So , after another 8 months it was time to upgrade. A little research, a lot of bench racing and a couple un-reversible decisions landed me here.

Rough country 4 ? ? long arm lift with 2.2 shocks, 33? BFG KM2  on 15x8 Black Rock wheels, JCR stage 2 front bumper and a whole bunch of fresh fluids to boot.

Fender trimming and flare relocation happened within the same week after a quick flex test scrunched the rear fenders,

along with trimmed, raised and relocated flares, extended bumps both front and rear, JCR stage 2 sliders and JKS boomerang shackles.
With the increased ground clearance, recovery points and good tires it was time to go wheeling!

And most of the group at the time?

Within only a couple of weeks, we had a massive snow storm that stopped the city dead in its tracks for almost a week??well most of the city!!

The family and I were having a blast, and Digger was the best 4x4 I had ever owned.  I continued to save up money for trips and future mods, while trying to fix everything that started to fail from frequent abuse.

The RC kit was the first to suffer. The LR rear shock leaked after the first trip out, the rear springs sagged and warped from flexing, the rear eyelit bushings tore out (twice). I replaced both front unit bearings that were toast after a couple of months, as well as the RC joints that continued to fail. The RC track bar heim joint had crazy play and the bar bent pretty easily.  I bent one of the lower control arm joint shafts, and broke the front carrier in the diff (water in the oil wore out the center pin). At this point I swapped in a HP 30 from the junkyard, and added a Ruff stuff front diff cover. I replaced the worn out RC joints with Johnny  joints, warrantied the rear springs and shocks and carried on!!
The front diff cover..

(how it looks after another 20k miles)

This whole time I was getting more and more hooked on the scene and spending time with the family outdoors.

The local wheeling was getting old, and Colorado is beautiful but a long drive for us, so we decided to find something closer. My brother and I, along with the wives and my kids, decided to try out Superlift Offroad in Arkansas. In preparation for a bit more aggressive wheeling, I installed a Ruff Stuff rear diff cover and Clayton drop track bar/ bracket to try and minimize further debilitating failures.

The trip was definitely an adventure!  We paid the dues, aired down and headed onto the main trails?.

Up a big hill?.

And within 20 min of hitting the first trail, carnage?

Chloe ( my bro?s wifes TJ) snapped a rear u joint and broke the cap end stop off the pinion yoke. Thanks to the helpful workers at Superlift helping with a new joint and welded cap, it lasted the rest of the trip!
More pics at Superlift?

---As a side note, this trip really showed me why radius arms are not all that great for where we wheel. In this pic the front end is WICKED unloading, and I ending up getting drug up the hill---

Getting the swaybars hooked up

And loaded up for the trip home!

Which??.took a bit longer than expected due to a smoked alternator and 2 dead batteries?

But thankfully we went as a group, and were able to fix it on the side of the road.

And make it home hours before work on Monday?

The Arkansas trip really made me rethink using Digger as a DD, and knowing that a rear locker (Aussie)  and gears  (4.56) were in the future, I started looking for something else to drive that was more reliable. In the meantime, more local wheeling and another trip to Colorado!!

Which lead to more breakage?.

The Jeep had always seemed to run a bit hot, but never really used coolant or anything so I didn?t worry to much about it UNTIL that trip. It overheated twice on that trip, once on the way across I70 in Kansas, 30 miles from Oakley Kansas, and the second over 45 min from anything in the foothills outside Penrose Colorado.  I attributed this to the temp being over 100F and swapped in a colder thermostat for the drive home.  In the back of my head the number  # 0331 was looming, but everything seemed good, so I wheeled on.

At some point in there I smashed the rear ? on a tree root,

and the tank took a good scrape, so on went JCR rear ? guards and a JCR rear tank skid.
We continued to go out when we could, although the trips dramatically decreased in frequency due to people losing interest, moving or breaking and tearing down. At this point I decided to look into this overheat issue more thoroughly and sure enough, the  #0331 came to fruition. Cracked cylinder head and mega sludge in the crankcase. Damn.

So on went a new cylinder head from Clearwater Cylinder heads

along with the full gasket treatment and a set of Hyline offroad  hood vents ,

and then more wheeling!

A short vid 

The last trip took a toll on the front steering , as well as the aging factory paint.

So, I ordered a new tie rod from Iron Rock offroad (beefy),  which I just installed about a week ago.  

At this point Digger is pretty much just a toy. I DD an ? old man? Tahoe back and forth to work , so I?m not really sure where the project is headed. It?s not really comfortable for my growing family to go cross country in anymore, and I have some WICKED topless envy during the nice fall weather.  However, with a good front swaybar, some new tires and a quiet muffler I could be headed to MOAB tomorrow confident in old Diggers abilities ?..so stay tuned and thanks for reading!

I like your build.  It's simple and capable, while retaining the stock look.  I look forward to further developments.

-Scuzz

Thanks guys, I definately have a love hate relationship with old Digger. Doing this build thread kind of rekindled an old flame, and I am starting to look at parts again slowly. The best part is, I sat down with my wife and went through all the old pictures and adventures we have been on, and she admitted she misses it too!!! My goal now is to get Digger back to reliable and enjoyable driving condition, with some moderate performance improvements as well (in selectable locker form???)

Etatum date=1412273144 said:
Thanks guys, I definately have a love hate relationship with old Digger. Doing this build thread kind of rekindled an old flame, and I am starting to look at parts again slowly. The best part is, I sat down with my wife and went through all the old pictures and adventures we have been on, and she admitted she misses it too!!! My goal now is to get Digger back to reliable and enjoyable driving condition, with some moderate performance improvements as well (in selectable locker form???)

Rubicon rear axle? 😀

G Beasley said:
Rubicon rear axle? 😀

Only if I found a crazy good deal....

Honestly I've had no issues with the rear 8.25 being strong enough, the only thing is the mods are a bit more expensive. I've always wanted ARB's but there are a few more choices now so I don't know. I can also go rear disc easily which I have been thinking more about.

I'll do Rock Jocks after I roll it, cut the top off and go full buggy!! Then I won't need a real Jeep with a removable top anymore! LOL

Etatum date=1412360671 said:
Only if I found a crazy good deal....

Honestly I've had no issues with the rear 8.25 being strong enough, the only thing is the mods are a bit more expensive. I've always wanted ARB's but there are a few more choices now so I don't know. I can also go rear disc easily which I have been thinking more about.

I'll do Rock Jocks after I roll it, cut the top off and go full buggy!! Then I won't need a real Jeep with a removable top anymore! LOL
I stopped by East Coast Gear Supply and talked to them today about axles while I picked up my JK pinion seals. They recommend the Ox Locker over the ARB for the 8.25 due to the side adjusters wanting to loosen up with the ARB. He said this is one of the few applications where he wouldnt recommend the ARB.
They had a rack of 60's ready to go , should I have them call you ?  😀

That's some really good info GB! Hadn't heard of that issue with the ARB and the side adjusters. I do like the simplicity of the mechanical actuation on the OX, however a lot of drivers have had problems keeping the cables adjusted properly after wheeling. Could go with electric or air actuation on the OX though....

Etatum said:
That's some really good info GB! Hadn't heard of that issue with the ARB and the side adjusters. I do like the simplicity of the mechanical actuation on the OX, however a lot of drivers have had problems keeping the cables adjusted properly after wheeling. Could go with electric or air actuation on the OX though....

I'd go electric, were it me (no surprise there.)  Electrical systems are less troublesome when properly sealed.

-Scuzz

I agree, plus with the co2 option there is much less of a need for an OBA system wired in. The thing I like about the ox is if the actuator fails, you can still engage the locker in a pinch. I guess ill have to find someone who needs a ruff stuff rear cover when the time comes!  😀

Etatum date=1412424150 said:
I just learned about it yesterday as I was asking questions about my XJ's 8.25. My experience with an OX is that you will have to adjust it once a year tops. I love the simplicity of the cable , but electric is pretty cool too.

cescuzzy said:
I'd go electric, were it me (no surprise there.)  Electrical systems are less troublesome when properly sealed.

-Scuzz
Shocker ... :-X

Etatum said:
I agree, plus with the co2 option there is much less of a need for an OBA system wired in. The thing I like about the ox is if the actuator fails, you can still engage the locker in a pinch. I guess ill have to find someone who needs a ruff stuff rear cover when the time comes!  😀
The bolt through the cover is a pretty neat trick to engage the locker . The cover for the OX is massive , your not going to be lacking for protection when you sell the ruff stuff cover.

G Beasley said:
Shocker ... :-X

Pun intended?

G Beasley date=1412430965 said:
The cover for the OX is massive , your not going to be lacking for protection when you sell the ruff stuff cover.

That ruff stuff cover would look pretty good on Babe...hahaha

-Scuzz

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine