Project Heavy Metal XJ- Diggers saga

357transam said:
Sideways picture! In any case, I say we get you an open carrier for sure. Maybe find me a couple Toyota axles......  [nailbite]
Trailgear has some nice yotas waiting to take your money...

Thanks,my old android phone died so I'm using my wife's old I phone and it's taking some getting used to. 
I've been looking a lot at what it would take to go into a different vehicle, as well as sell mine. Most of the things that are driving me to another rig are problems I'm going to have to address to sell Digger anyways. So the plan for now is to make D drive and handle better, and quiet up the ride a bit, then go from there.
After I flooded the interior early on and had to remove the mass backing on the carpet, road noise became a compromise that I'm no longer willing to deal with. Has anyone tried using carpet pad as sound deadening? It's cheap and has mildew resistance, so it could be a good option. I'm also going to remove the poly motor and trams mounts, and go back to stock

Etatum said:
Thanks,my old android phone died so I'm using my wife's old I phone and it's taking some getting used to.
I've been looking a lot at what it would take to go into a different vehicle, as well as sell mine. Most of the things that are driving me to another rig are problems I'm going to have to address to sell Digger anyways. So the plan for now is to make D drive and handle better, and quiet up the ride a bit, then go from there.
After I flooded the interior early on and had to remove the mass backing on the carpet, road noise became a compromise that I'm no longer willing to deal with. Has anyone tried using carpet pad as sound deadening? It's cheap and has mildew resistance, so it could be a good option. I'm also going to remove the poly motor and trams mounts, and go back to stock

I haven't done it personally, but a friend of mine used it in his ford pickup and it worked well at knocking down the road noise.

The stock carpet has mass backing from the factory, a thick layer of weaved fiber. I had to remove it from the back of the carpet when I flooded the interior with nasty, stagnant water so it didn't mold. What's left is a thin layer of rubber backed carpet that does nothing for sound. I have fat mat installed which did little to decrease the noise.

Etatum date=1423488501 said:
The stock carpet has mass backing from the factory, a thick layer of weaved fiber. I had to remove it from the back of the carpet when I flooded the interior with nasty, stagnant water so it didn't mold. What's left is a thin layer of rubber backed carpet that does nothing for sound. I have fat mat installed which did little to decrease the noise.
They also make a fiber like pad for carpet. It is used mostly for commercial carpet and is denser than the foam type. It does weigh a little more though, however it should do a better job of keeping the road noise down. HTH 

And just because

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    83.7 KB · Views: 128
After much thought and deliberation, its time to move on. Digger is up for sale!

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/4921717029.html

Wish me luck, once sold I'm buying an LJ Rubicon.

That is a good deal! Heck of a long ways away though, shipping it would prob be about the same cost as flying out and driving it back.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine