Third Time?s a Charm 2005 LJ Build

Well, I?ve never really been sold in the JK wheels. And I?m not driving the LJ often, certainly not more than around town.  So I was ready to move on form ATs.  Since I?ve decided to hold onto the LJ, I listed them and found a buyer for the set.

So, what to replace them with? I found a set of 5 TJ Moabs on FB Marketplace for $100 and I?ll pick them up tomorrow. I know the 16? size and resulting tire selection isn?t ideal, but I?ve always had a soft spot for them. And I have a set of 285/75R16 MT/Rs on the way.

Looking forward to some changes!

That?s a great score. They made a few different versions of the TJ Moab, but it?s still my favorite wheel. Glad to see your holding on to the LJ.

They're the later/'06 ones with the inner lip between the spokes.  I don't know that I have a preference.  I just hope they look as decent as they did in the pictures, since the tires are on their way. 

Nice!  The 03's never faired well in the midwest with salt, the 04/05's are clean, but the 06's man - those are the cats pajamas right there.

Seeing them in person, I would agree that the tweak for the last Moabs is very nice.

2 are very good. 2 have some minor issues with the clear where the weights were. And one is significantly worse with flaking clear and one decent scratches . I?ll only be using 4 right now, especially with the CJ tailgate.  I definitely won?t complain for $100. They should be good to go as is for now and I can always refinish down the road.

And man, 285/75R16 MT/Rs look MUCH bigger than 285/70R17 KO2s, even though they?re very close on paper. Looking forward to getting them mounted up and on, and getting the BFGs out the door.

Had to mock it up.  They big!

4B28DE77-AF13-4F3A-BC36-36D265672528.webp

0FF845B0-C073-4ED4-9FD5-55C0B2AB02F0.webp

Meeting the guy buying my wheels, tires and spacers Sunday morning. His friend has a lift so we?ll pull all of my stuff and get the new stuff on. Which will be helpful because I?m pretty sure I broke a finger crashing during my ski race last night.

Best of all this will essentially end up as an even trade. 

G Beasley said:
x2 and shi race ?!?

I?m in an adult race league. Giant slalom under the lights. I raced back in high school, didn?t even ski much for 15 years and started racing again around 10 years In ago. Lots of fun! I used to have goggles with a camera... Here?s a race from 2014, right before the goggles broke.

https://youtu.be/6i1_lyGl7lU

Not a lot of skiing down your way, I imagine!

en480c4 said:
I?m in an adult race league. Giant slalom under the lights. I raced back in high school, didn?t even ski much for 15 years and started racing again around 10 years In ago. Lots of fun! I used to have goggles with a camera... Here?s a race from 2014, right before the goggles broke.

https://youtu.be/6i1_lyGl7lU

Not a lot of skiing down your way, I imagine!

Just seemed late in the season but you are a long ways up from us. We have skiing but I prefer it out West in Utah and Lake Tahoe.

G Beasley said:
Just seemed late in the season but you are a long ways up from us. We have skiing but I prefer it out West in Utah and Lake Tahoe.

Yeah, we?re just losing the last of the snow where I live, but the mountains are still in pretty good shape. It?s an 9 week race schedule that starts after New Years. The smaller mountains probable have 3-4 weeks left.

I love it out west, but racing gives me an appreciacion for ice!

So much better!  Sorry but I did not like those JK wheels - these fit the bill so much better!  A stubby bumper would look so gangster on there!  :D

green50gt said:
So much better!  Sorry but I did not like those JK wheels - these fit the bill so much better!  A stubby bumper would look so gangster on there!  :D

Thanks. Very happy with how it looks, even for a Rubiclone!  😀 

And I HATE having the winch plate hanging over the bumper. Still considering your bumper.  I just don't love the ultra short stubby bumpers without AntiRock, which while in the plans is further off.

en480c4 said:
Pretty pleased.

View attachment 134539

I think I need 3/4? spacers up front with the winch, especially when the hard top goes away.

Looks great! Makes me really want an LJ again.

I might have some 3/4? spacers that came with a XJ I?m parting out. If that?s what they are, you can have them for shipping if you need them.

janesy said:
Looks great! Makes me really want an LJ again.

I might have some 3/4? spacers that came with a XJ I?m parting out. If that?s what they are, you can have them for shipping if you need them.

That would be awesome, thanks!  The 8274 definitely has added some serious rake, even with synthetic line. It currently has two 70 lb bags of sand in the back, plus the hard top and the front is still low.  And the MT/R?s are about 1/2? taller.

Looking forward to cleaning up the frame and underside of the tub in between making progress on my dad?s Willys truck.  And once bumpers and the transmission skid have been addressed I?ll start on the HP30.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine