Third Time?s a Charm 2005 LJ Build

Unfortunately it was the outside and the bottom of the frame around the control arm mount.

3C7D79FD-59A9-4680-8B9C-9F664A1311FF.webp

I didn?t want to use a Safe-T-Cap. So I picked up some 2.5?x2.5?x3/16? square tube, and yesterday I mitered it at 7.5 degrees and flipped one side to get 15 degrees to match the angle of the frame. When the edges were prepped, I welded that up to have my frame patch ready. 

66AC1D76-AF0F-4AB9-8785-DFD910D2BB1B.webp

This morning I took a bunch of measurements before I cut off the control arm mount, and then hacked away. Once I had access, I cut out the bad section of the frame, cut my patch down and with a lot of trial fitting and trimming, got the patch in. Then I rewelded the control arm mount back to the frame, carefully matching my pre-cut measurements.

B9E8744D-D219-4B09-ACE4-F05D54077472.webp
DE1B14CD-3141-42A5-B388-E71A04BF1E32.webp

Unfortunately I forgot to get a picture of it with the frame section removed.

I still need to work on my welds for when I work on the Willys, so more practice is needed. But I cut through some of my welds to check them and I was getting good penetration.

Please to report the Jeep got its sticker today.  Tech even commented that the patch looked really good. 

Now to prioritize cleaning up the rest of the underside, drill the drain holes and try to extend this thing as much as possible.

en480c4 said:
Please to report the Jeep got its sticker today.  Tech even commented that the patch looked really good. 

Now to prioritize cleaning up the rest of the underside, drill the drain holes and try to extend this thing as much as possible.

Congrats! Goal accomplished and validation to boot!

Got sick of looking at the swing out tailgate with no spare while waiting for my paint to arrive, so I mounted the CJ tailgate in primer. It was probably a good call since I didn?t damage fresh paint mocking it up. I?d rather look at this than the alternative! And I?ll paint it and the half doors once the paint is delivered.

AFB84052-3459-47A6-AADC-33553A71B8C9.webp

C3372B79-4CF2-4C09-A963-ECE49B561100.webp

Last time I did this I modified a CJ reproduction tailgate seal and the fit was terrible. This time I repurposed the TJ seal and it worked much better. I just have some tweaks to make where it meets the tailgate bar when I put it on for good after paint.

I?m not sure what I?m doing to do at the stock hinge locations. Last time I used Poison Spyder corner armor hinge delete plates painted to match. They?re not available anymore so I?ll either make my own or come up with something else.

Not a lot of news on the Jeep.

Ordered a Next Venture rear bumper with the hitch. Site said it would ship in 2-3 days, indicating it was in stock.  After multiple emails, I finally heard back 5 weeks in that it might get cut for fab this week. So who knows when it will show up, but In definitely disappointed in the communication. If they realized the site was wrong and there was a significant change in lead time, some follow-up would?ve been appreciated. That said, I love the bumper and I?m really looking forward to getting it here and on the Jeep.

Picked up some JK turn signals for the grill and sheet metal to fill in the fenders.

Still fighting P0462. Picked up a harness plug for the fuel pump and plan on running a new temp harness from the PCM to the pump to see if I can narrow down the cause more.

Also got paint on the CJ tailgate. Looks like garbage and I have to try again.

2B8BF548-92EF-4F44-A5DF-CF3D5E7EB742.webp

Sold the half doors I picked up. The medium grey soft top and black diamond uppers was not something I was interested in living with.  If I end up replacing the soft top I?ll revisit the idea of soft doors.

Picked up a used AEV rear bumper four $200 for my dad?s JK.  Really happy with that deal, even after having to order the bolt kit from AEV

And today I picked this up? It has a few scratches and one spot that needs repair. But after selling my grey hardtop for $1600 in a matter of days this spring, this at $800 was a no brainier.  Worst case I end up ?stuck? with this one, netting $800 on the deal, and swapping the grey for the much better looking black.  Best case, I fix it, flip it and end up with some cash.

DA8183E7-3773-477F-9DA8-C8B3B3D686C6.webp

Otherwise it just needs a lot of maintenance. Should probably flush the cooling system, transmission fluid, fix a weeping transmission cooler line, and start cleaning up the frame and the under side of the tub.

The Next Venture rear bumper with a hitch is pretty tits!  With your LJ you can cut an access hole (if they haven?t done that yet) so you can fit a receiver in it.  If not you will need to trim ~1/2? off of your receiver of choice.  Keep in mind mine is around 3-4 years old and Dan may have redesigned it... otherwise it?s a solid unit!

Got the UCF no-BL skid and a new Mopar transmission mount in. I?m hoping to get to that on the next few weeks.

I also (finally) got my NV rear bumper in. Got it primed and painted this morning and then spent far too long getting the stock bumper and tire hitch off. Then I spent some time cleaning up the frame, cross members and gas tank skid and primed and painted them. Finally, I got the bumper on with a few bolts until I can pick up a few new drill bits to put in the rest.

Hard Line Rob said:
The Next Venture rear bumper with a hitch is pretty tits!  With your LJ you can cut an access hole (if they haven?t done that yet) so you can fit a receiver in it.  If not you will need to trim ~1/2? off of your receiver of choice.  Keep in mind mine is around 3-4 years old and Dan may have redesigned it... otherwise it?s a solid unit!

The bumper does have the opening now, so I just had to make the matching hole in the crossmember to be able to use my hitches and bike rack without modifying them.

B456DB19-EDF5-4A90-BFD3-9FC95A7F46DC.webp

1356CFA2-49F3-4CAB-84D3-84A0C7B1297F.webp

10B76A74-58B0-436E-A384-76E0A076C51F.webp

I?ll get the rest of the bolts in tomorrow and spend some more time and go through a bunch more flap discs trying to clean up more of the frame.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine