Third Time?s a Charm 2005 LJ Build

Yesterday my father and I got the new pressure washer assembled and there was much degreasing of the Willys. While I was there I figured we?re through the last of the weather and a few good rains had washed all the salt off the roads, so i pulled the cover off the 8274.

0ACBDCC0-AC8F-4F8C-A8E3-AF5A173DDF0F.webp

Today I went over and between the winch on my LJ and the bumper on his JK, we were able to pull and push the Willys around and got it into the garage.

929EEB6C-13BE-49F4-A0B0-DF7ABAB84264.webp

Tear down resumes!

G Beasley said:
Are yall going to fabricate some bedsides and fake a Willys style look out back?

It was a pickup originally. But he wants a flat bed and stake body. He had some pretty specific ideas about proportions and has a bunch of photos saved.  So we?re thinking fabbing a steel frame with oak floors and sides. The ?62 was available as a pickup, flat bed or chassis cab.

So, hood side of the hood hold down broke Sunday. The new ones arrived yesterday and I was finally able to get the new ones on after some minor complications. Felt important to get done as I?m going in for surgery for my finger tomorrow.

6DDA90C5-D66F-49EF-9C7D-6F6A796B58C3.webp

I?ve run these Rugged Ridge ones on JKs before and was happy with the finish and function. They?re a little big/clunky on the smaller TJ, but I?m sure I?ll get used to them. I do like how the shiny bits tie in with the grill and stainless fasteners I used for the rockers.

So, another set of Rubicon rockers arrived. Looking forward to treating the spots of rust on the back edge of the tub and then modding the hell out of these to wrap around the back of the tub. I just need to figure out how to integrate the CJ tailgate hinges when I get there.

Recovering from my surgery. Complications made it more invasive and will leave me with a longer recovery. So I did the only thing I can... I ordered parts!

For the LJ?  Swag tailgate conversion kit for the CJ tailgate.

For the Willys? Rear cab mounts and pretty much everything we?ll need to revamp the suspension. Walck?s has a 10% off sale this weekend, so we figured why not? Once we get the tear down complete, we?ll have everything we need to jump between the cab and the rolling chassis.

Probably a few months before I can do much of anything, but we?ll be ready!

I'm betting you can do small projects in 30 days or so . Just dont push your luck and reinjure the nose picker!

I like the CJ tailgates on the LJ's or TJ's , but I have yet to buy a kit . I grumble every time I do it , but I am happy with the end result. Curious to see what all the kit includes and the ease of installation it offers.

I get the pin out in 2 weeks. But there?s a button that?s holding some sutures keeping the joint stable that won?t come out for 6-8 weeks. So it?ll be limiting for a while.

As for the Swag kit, it?s mostly a consolidated package that saves time. It has the backing plates with welded nuts for the lower hinge bolts, a set of powder coated stainless Kentrol hinges with hardware, and cables with hardware and tub-side brackets. If the tailgate is complete with latches and the cable brackets, the only thing left is the latch closure. I really like what you did with the round stock on Ruffy, so I?ll keep that in mind when I need to fab up mine.

Thanks it worked well on Ruffy for sure. I still want to through drill the latch and add a stainless steel Allen head that has a matching tool on the keychain. Then I can open the tailgate with the Allen key and not have to open the top.

So, with my ability to repair the current tailgate somewhat limited, looks like I?ll be consigning it to wall hanger status. I have picked up another in much better condition, and it should arrive tomorrow.

E6A2BA13-B901-463C-8DDF-8886DC4EDFB9.webp

D87D07C3-D004-4C9F-A4E0-B271F2317A23.webp

I?ll likely prep and the paint with Duplicolor Bright Silver Metallic rattle cans and repaint down the line when we?re painting the Willys with an HPLV setup.

en480c4 said:
So, with my ability to repair the current tailgate somewhat limited, looks like I?ll be consigning it to wall hanger status. I have picked up another in much better condition, and it should arrive tomorrow.

View attachment 135165

View attachment 135167

I?ll likely prep and the paint with Duplicolor Bright Silver Metallic rattle cans and repaint down the line when we?re painting the Willys with an HPLV setup.
Bolt to the wall for a drop down workshelf

1989comanche said:
Bolt to the wall for a drop down workshelf

I like it!

G Beasley said:
Cool wall hanger!

That?s actually the good one! Pics are from the ad. Wall hanger has a bunch of rust behind the seals and hinges, has drilled out hinge inserts and one of the cable brackets is busted. This one just needs to have the corner straightened and the whole thing stripped down. I didn?t mind the work on the bad one, but I?m just not patient enough to wait now that I?m not running a spare.

So, good day on the tailgate project.

While my father has been getting layers and layers of paint off the Willys, he also did a bunch of sanding to get the tailgates stripped down. Turns out the new tailgate is worse than the first one, so back to square one. Today I welded up the snap holes and a small hole above one of the hinges. I was also able to chase the hinge holes, which saved me a ton of work. Then I hit a few spots with filler, got some self etching primer on and then hit it with some high build primer. I may still need to fine tune a few spots, but it?s getting close!

As received:

BE245461-D487-431A-9861-D2CB7F67D810.webp

Mostly stripped:

0B8D6172-80A0-4A44-8147-D84BCA367D04.webp

As it sits:

415637F1-96A3-4122-9AA3-E3107180632C.webp

Gratuitous shot of the Willys:

601312DB-106F-4EAB-81A4-2511D56C672C.webp

I thought it was ready for color. It?s not, but it?s getting closer. The Duplicolor PS2 matched the PSB really well. Looking forward to it drying and getting some more work on it this weekend.

70E8BAC9-B010-4CF2-9295-FE9599083A73.webp

6F3D7280-7CA2-4D3D-90D2-642753936633.webp

Major setback on the Jeep. Failed inspection yesterday due to frame issues at the front PS lower control arm bracket. I had planned on jumping into cleaning the frame this spring before my finger surgery set me back.  The other typical trouble spots still look OK, but I clearly have some immediate work to do to get it back on the road with more work to get ahead of the other areas.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine