Weekend Warrior XJ

G Beasley said:
Do you need one tons and 37's or is it just a want?

I could probably get away with a 44's, but I'm sure eventually I'll want to LS swap when the engine dies, and I'd also rather be overbuilt, than skimming the line.

Rucas said:
Wheel it the way it is for a while before you do all that stuff. You will get easily bored doing most trails with tons and 37s

I don't wanna have to buy another set of 33's.  I have about another year to 1.5 years left on the current ones so I just wanted to start the planning so I'm ready when it's time for tires.

kingpin1094 said:
I don't wanna have to buy another set of 33's.  I have about another year to 1.5 years left on the current ones so I just wanted to start the planning so I'm ready when it's time for tires.

Take it from someone who went to big tires from 33s- 33s and lockers will do more than you think and I had more fun with my YJ in a simple, mild state with skid plates, lockers and 33 all terrains than any other form. I wish I would have kept it that way. Don't get caught up in the build thinking you "need" certain parts to go have the fun you want. Every friend I have ever talked to that went 37s and bigger regretted it. Going that aggressive makes most trails on the east coast a walk in the park, and having a rig that is super capable without a couple years of experience wheeling turns a person into a shit driver. I know the temptation is there to make something really cool but for a first offroad vehicle don't go wild right away.  Throw some 97-99 xj axles in it with lockers, design some skids to protect your vitals and rockers, and go have fun while you learn to drive and properly choose your lines.

Rucas said:
Take it from someone who went to big tires from 33s- 33s and lockers will do more than you think and I had more fun with my YJ in a simple, mild state with skid plates, lockers and 33 all terrains than any other form. I wish I would have kept it that way. Don't get caught up in the build thinking you "need" certain parts to go have the fun you want. Every friend I have ever talked to that went 37s and bigger regretted it. Going that aggressive makes most trails on the east coast a walk in the park, and having a rig that is super capable without a couple years of experience wheeling turns a person into a shit driver. I know the temptation is there to make something really cool but for a first offroad vehicle don't go wild right away.  Throw some 97-99 xj axles in it with lockers, design some skids to protect your vitals and rockers, and go have fun while you learn to drive and properly choose your lines.

I'll agree with Rucas a bit on this one. I'd at least go play in the rocks once or twice at rausch with 33's before going 37's and tons. I was floored how capable my jeep was with just 33's and a front locker. I could play on blues and blacks all day, the only issue I had was a bent drag link.

Then go tons and 37's with an LS  😀

Went out on a trip with the local jeep club.  I was one of 3 jeeps in the modified class without lockers, but I did not get stuck at all.  Had to some maneuvering and learned alot about what my jeep can do (and how sideways it can get) as well as how to choose a line.  Had a ton of fun, and am super proud of the jeep.  Took a little body damage due to a rock I didnt notice, and lost the passenger fender flare.  All and all, well worth the trip.

I wish I got more action shots, but here are the couple pics i took:

Before:
tlw9Dbj.jpg

qVUnhay.jpg

t3N3kcF.jpg

t6fe5x1.jpg

Nljfux1.jpg

Next before I go out is going to be to add 1.5" wheel spacers, trim/cut and fold the fenders/quarters, and properly bump stop the suspension.

Well after losing my passenger side flare I decided to remove the driver side flare as well, and found some rust in the lower corners.  I then decided it was time to remove my rear flares, and bumper caps, and I found more rust on the quarters.  So I guess now its time to do some cutting and folding, but before I did that I wanted to trial how it would look by painting the cut areas black.

HDQ7e7s.jpg

My plan is to build/have built some tube fenders since it seems that most companies no longer make tube fenders for XJ's and I think they look awesome, I have a prototype design in solidworks:

iyprDHJ.png

So hopefully these will come to fruition If I can find someone with a plasma table and bender who will make the components for cheap enough.

I was trying to keep this thread mostly about the build and its progress, but I feel like I need to document this issue. 

I am having some very strange issues with the CCD or CAN bus system in my 2000 XJ.  Initially the SKIM and MIC both showed no connection to the bus.  I reset the PCM by holding the battery leads together and that fixed it for about 2 weeks.  Then they both died again, and this time the reset trick didn't work.

I got the multi meter out and pulled some data off the DLC, which showed proper voltage (around 2.5v), but was showing 120 ohms, and based on information I read that would mean a terminal resistor is no longer connected to the CCD.  Which in the XJ's case either means the MIC or the PCM.  Disconnected the PCM and checked its pins directly and read the proper 120ohms at the PCM.  I had previously already checked and cleaned the MIC connections/tried hitting the dash.

I then decided to clean all the grounds and try unplugging the TCM.  None of that worked.... Then it just did.  Everything was communicating no codes no issues.  Left it alone for the night.

The next morning the TCM decided it didnt want to talk to the other modules on the bus, but the SKIM and MIC were fine so it still ran and drove fine, just had a CEL. 

Tonight I took it apart some more traced the harnesses around under the dash and all the shielding and core tube are still 100% intact which leads me to believe there likely isnt a wire thats shorting or broken. I cleaned G100 ground a little more just to make sure.  and I took some more DLC measurements, which now shows 60.6 ohms.  I have no codes now.

I am sure this is not the last I will see of this issue, it seems every time I play with it I fix it only temporarily. Next step is going to be isolating portions of the circuit with an ohm meter and testing each wire individually.  And that's where I am at as of tonight. I wish CCKen was still active, on cherokeeforum cause that man really knows his stuff.

Went wheeling again this Sunday. Probably against my better judgement since I have to drive the truck 550 miles Thursday back to NJ. I did the "stock" ride though to try and make sure the truck stayed intact and road worthy.  I started to get kinda bored on the stock ride, so I started taking the toughest lines I could find to make it fun, and as such each tire made contact with its respective fender....  Definitely need to get around to cutting them.

nGNW4Gq.jpg

Started the day with 5 cherokees (4 xj's)  two XJ's overheated and the trailhawk broke something internal.  But the last two soldiered on and represented the cherokee's well.

lTyXaGp.jpg

This was probably the most challenging obstacle we hit, it was relatively easy, but still fun.

https://imgur.com/w5Rv4Ms

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine