Weekend Warrior XJ

G Beasley said:
I went with the JCR fold and welds , but I looked at the dirtbound. Either are a lot of welding and grinding if you want a smooth finish. I left mine with raw welds for now.

Do they have similar mounting styles where the bumper replaces the nut strips in the frame?  I was going to use dirtbound because I got my front bumper from them and I like my front bumper.

Though the JCR one looks like it has a bigger flat spot on the rear, which would make welding the swing out hinge on easier.

Trail Day!

I really wanted to run the modified trails today, (even finished my fender fold and comp cut for it) but due to the limited number of middle ground modified jeeps they just ran the stock class and then a 35's and locked class.  Well I really didnt want to be that guy holding up the bigger guys, and there were a more than average number of stock jeeps.  So I decided to run with them and help with recovery, even ended up tail gunning (that's what we call the guy at the back who lets the leader know where the tail is and makes sure no one gets left behind)

Staging area:
cXakp3i.jpg

First recovery job, ZJ didnt have a front point and the XJ was stuck, had to go around and yank him back:
R6BjI9K.jpg

This was the trail before I started tail gunning, but I pulled behind the white XJ to assist:
zis4lNQ.jpg

Lunch cooked using the valve cover and the hood like a panini press:
fvxni5u.jpg

Sneaky XJ:
sb0tLNv.jpg

Little climb:
jWVx8p2.jpg

Other recovery:
fvmyf7F.jpg

And unfortunately as always wish I took more pics but I always forget.

Then sadly on my way home (2hr drive) I was exhausted and not paying as much attention as I should have, and almost rear ended an outback that came to a sudden stop in the middle of a 2 lane turn.  Tried to stop, it wasn't gonna be enough, so I veered off the road into a ditch.  Jeep took it like a champ, sway bar end link not so much....
VxIE3MB.jpg

I gave everything a good once over measured camber, checked all mounting, LCA's, steering, and it all looks straight and fine. 

Fun looking spot , to bad the ditch got you. I think you could press that straight , chop it in half and sleeve it pretty easy.

Finished the driver side cut and fold. I must say I am really digging the comp cut look and the way the folded fenders look.  Though I think it would look much better with some 35's lol

NmNjfgU.jpg

YNuYu5f.jpg

Y0rRAOf.jpg

I also ordered up some sheet metal and stuff to start working on my DIY rear bumper. Unfortunately with work, SEMA, thanksgiving and then the holidays it'll probably take me much longer to finish the bumper.

I'm also looking at re cutting the front to be forward a little more partly because as i flex and the axle wings forward i keep hitting that portion of the fender, and 2 I think it would look better if the fender opening and bumper terminating lines matched up.

Thinking about something like this, where red is cut, and black is bed liner just to have it match.  (ignore the poor ms paint skills) Since I have catia, and plotter capabilities I'll probably drum up a template to make the cut clean and even on both sides. 

DeYSxi3.jpg

ravenworks said:
You seriously didn't have jack stands under your vehicle or am I not seeing things

huh, you know normally I'm pretty diligent about that, but I guess I was in a rush and forgot or didnt feel like putting my hp30 on the ground.  I'll have to go get another set of stands so I don't have an excuse next time.

ravenworks said:
I found my neighbor crushed under a car when I was about 12,I'll never forget about it.
Valid concern.  Safety first.  Harbor Freight has very reasonable options.  Or dimensional lumber, please do not use cinder blocks!

Another trail day!

0Jk70Bf.jpg

wvxowKh.jpg

oKNSnQN.jpg

At3Agds.jpg

DdvVDnZ.jpg

The best pic i took from a photography standpoint wasn't even my own jeep....
tuilhkS.jpg

It was a great time, Jeep did fantastic.  I got some parts to start the bumper build, so hopefully that will be underway shortly.  And I found someone selling an 8.8 already prepped for an XJ close to me, so I am going to go look at that this weekend and maybe bring it home.

G Beasley said:
Did you get the 8.8?

Yessir!
IhfW4yz.jpg

Found an 8.8 (31sp LSD) already trussed ready to drop into an XJ, with ebrake cable, driveshaft flange adapter for XJ shaft, new ubolts and plates for $450.  I got the truss and gussets for the D30, they just need to get welded on.  I just need to get gears for both axles, and some nicer diff covers and roll them under it. 

I've been focusing most of my effort (what little I have this time of year) on trying to get the bumper done.  Starting tacking it together, and got the rect tube and sheet metal to do the wrap around portion.  I'll probably get some pics up of that after the holidays.

Started the bumper build!

Got a good portion of it tacked together off the Jeep. 
5tKFOtE.jpg

I broke it up into 3 parts, the center and the wings.  I still need to weld the mounts to the bumper, but I would prefer to do that with the bumper mounts on the jeep to make sure they are in the correct location and it can be installed without issue.  (we all know the tolerance Chrysler held these jeeps to)

GXSXgEt.jpg

Next step will be opening the back of the subframe and getting the nut certs out and installing the bumper mounts in their place and finish tacking the rest of it together.

After its all tacked together I'm gonna work on the wrap around portion (rect tubing shown in pic).  Then finish weld, and flap wheel.

And the last portion will begin the tire carrier portion fab.  Fortunately I know someone who will let me borrow a metal chop saw, so once the carrier is mocked up the fab portion should go together pretty fast.

Well well, it has been a long while since I posted here, and a lot has happened.  In my defense I tried to do an update but the forum bugged and I couldn't post it and then I got busy and forgot to update.  I'm going to try and keep this short and sweet, and I can go into more detail if anyway has questions.

TLDR:  Finished lower part of rear bumper, Finished 8.8 swap, finished HP 30 swap, went to 35's, drove 1700 miles to CO and UT to wheel for a week and drove home (4k miles total). 

Bumper:
Finished the wrap around portion and got it all welded up.  At the bottom Ill have some pics from the trip where youll be able to see the more finished product.  Next up is to build the swing out!
QCGULwO.jpg

1PFe6QB.jpg

Axles:
Approximately 2 weeks before the trip the jeep looked like this! AHHH
NvZd7Ex.jpg

Due to time constraints and drive length I decided to have the axles professionally regeard to 4.56's. Not much else to really say about em.  Rear axle is your standard 8.8 swap with the IRO kit.  It does still have the stock LSD and I added a ruff stuff diff cover.
uMNHxkX.jpg

Front axle is trussed and gusseted using artecs kit, and has a powertrax no slip auto locker. as well as a ruff stuff diff cover.
viC12kH.jpg

Chassis/Gen:
I painted the lower door edge cleaning up some rust
M5ilTLf.jpg

And this would be a great time to show that I cut the front fenders a tad more for the 35's.  Mostly went forward to meet the bumper and went a littler higher.  Honestly I don't think I needed all of it as I now have plenty of clearance, but thats okay I think it came out pretty good
PEasZkJ.jpg

I have never had overheating problems but I didnt want to start 1700 miles from home in Moab UT.  I added hood louvers and a trans cooler
brFXmJ8.jpg

Sgd8O68.jpg

Well enough of the build thats boring, lets see some wheeling!
jAARfjL.jpg

y0PPoOW.jpg

9hyNGuP.jpg

1F6M1So.jpg

aQDTCCR.png

T893d08.jpg

f19iurB.jpg

9s6PEUP.jpg

IGBUoUl.jpg

GpwO1tP.jpg

3lDbsqd.jpg

aMHle5Y.jpg

At this point I am very very happy with how the rig turned out.  Super proud of being able to drive 1700 miles wheel for a week and drive home with no issues.  It was truly the trip of a lifetime and I wouldn't want to do it in anything other than the Jeep I built.

This trip has only made me more excited to work on the Jeep and keep tweaking and tuning it. So the next steps:
-Swing out for spare tire, Jerry can, high lift
-Cargo management
-Shift the rear axle backwards (Target 1-2")
-WJ PS pump and cooler

PS
I should also add I did not do this trip alone.  The Jeep group I am apart of (Mid Ohio Jeep Organization) planned the trip and convoyed out together.  I am so thankful to have found such a good group of jeepers who do so many cool trips.  We are already planning to attend the Moab trip next year as well!

That?s a pretty awesome update! Nice pics , and the XJ turned out great. I really like the rear bumper , did you catch it on any ledges in Moab?

G Beasley said:
That?s a pretty awesome update! Nice pics , and the XJ turned out great. I really like the rear bumper , did you catch it on any ledges in Moab?

Nope, but I did end up just barely clipping a shackle on one of the edges. 

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine