Dezert's 06 LJ Rubicon

DezertLJ said:
I originally rigged up a bolt on solution with a dynomax muffler and turndown. Worked for awhile, but the drone got annoying while idling. Took the sledge to the original tailpipe and made the magnaflow and full tailpipe work again.
Sledge for fitment , bold move!

Started to add some sound deadening to the LJ. Siless Hybrid 200mil (dampener, heat, and sound) to the floor, Siless 80mil to the wheel wells and doors. Curious to see if the hybrid stuff makes any difference

Attachments

• 20221226_172606.webp
    20221226_172606.webp
    230.6 KB · Views: 17
I'm definitely looking forward to hearing what you think.  The factory material under the carpet in the Range Rover is open-cell foam and was a sponge, holding water from the sunroof leak and resulting in some pretty bad rust.  I removed it when I did the repair, and I definitely need to replace it with something.  The increase in NVH is significant without it. 

Why the difference in material? I've considered this in mine over the years, but have always decided against it because of moisture concerns. Please let us know what you think after it's been on for a while.

I'll update this after the front half is complete.

Srfnfly227 said:
Why the difference in material? I've considered this in mine over the years, but have always decided against it because of moisture concerns. Please let us know what you think after it's been on for a while.

The hybrid liner may still be a concern for you if moisture is a problem. The contours of the LJ's floorboard caused the liner to not fully adhere like typical sound deadening asphalt liner does. The thickness of the liner may have something to do with it. I don't necessarily need to worry about it too much where I'm at, but it's definitely something to keep in mind before installing the thicker stuff. As for mixed materials, the hybrid liner was too thick to use on the wheel wells. The thinner 80mil sound deadener allowed for the liner to fit the contour of the wheel well, allowing for complete adhesion and no air gaps.

Even though it's cold and snowing, I couldn't wait to install the new bumper. Everything lined up perfectly. Rob's custom bumper worked extremely well and you couldn't beat the approach angle without cutting, but it was time to move on. When it's not snowing and is a bit warmer, it'll be time to paint it and find a better method to secure the winch rope when not in use.

Before
20230122_114436.webp

After
20230122_124503.webp

green50gt said:
New bumper looks great!  What's next on the list of mods?

That's where I'm sort of stuck. The LJ needs better steering. I'd like to go the WJ knuckle and brakes route, but that requires 17" wheels vs the 15s that are on there. If I go 17s, then it'll need new tires. So at that point, the LJ may as well get 37s since there isn't much of a difference in tire price between 35s and 37s on 17s.

So instead of snowballing into a massive overhaul of the LJ, I may take some more time to plan the next phase of the jeep. It wheels great on 35s. My heart wants 37s, but the wallet says it's probably not a good idea. So we'll see if any deals pop up on marketplace, that may influence the next bit of mods.

G Beasley said:
WJ will give you better brakes and steering but Currie steering is still good and more time friendly.

That's the route I went with. Savvy's ultimate steering wasn't available, so went with the regular Currie set up. Ran it in the past on a different TJ and it held up fine.

10 years and 2 Jeeps later, finally retiring this steering setup. Worked great. Put it through hell, but it still held up. The IRO solid tie rod sure worked well. Time for the Currie system to take over. Drove well on the post-installation test drive, just need little adjustments to make it perfect.

Attachments

• 20230317_164930.webp
    20230317_164930.webp
    188.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230317_165105.webp
    20230317_165105.webp
    276.3 KB · Views: 9
Took the light bar off of the windshield. Taking it off made a notable difference in soft top noise down the highway. It rarely got used, so it'll stay off. Needs a small bit of paint correction done to the windshield frame, but so does the entire Jeep, so that'll wait till summer.

Attachments

• 20230318_164614~2.webp
    20230318_164614~2.webp
    414.1 KB · Views: 11
DezertLJ said:
Took the light bar off of the windshield. Taking it off made a notable difference in soft top noise down the highway. It rarely got used, so it'll stay off. Needs a small bit of paint correction done to the windshield frame, but so does the entire Jeep, so that'll wait till summer.
Summer looks like a long ways off from what I see across the street!

Hard Line Rob said:
Jeep is looking good.  We need to get together and camp/ wheel sometime soon!

Yes we do! I've been itching to head down south to do some wheeling before it gets hot. Let me when you've got a run planned. The offroad group up in Flag fell apart, so it's been quiet lately.

Today's lunch break involved goodies. Battle Born wheels had a clearance sale on their echo wheels. I've been wanting to bump up to 17s, so these will work well. Now to either find some 35s or 37s.

Attachments

• 20230327_121620.webp
    20230327_121620.webp
    247.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230327_121744.webp
    20230327_121744.webp
    182.8 KB · Views: 12

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine