Dezert's 06 LJ Rubicon

Knocking out the little projects in the meantime. Installed a Gentex 177 compass/temp/auto dim mirror this morning. Much better than the standard flip mirror and the local yard had it and the GM pigtail for $6.

20240126_104516.webp

The sensor was already present? I have never seen that before! The ones I have added I had to add the sensor. (my luck) Anywho, so the harness is just under the passenger side vent thingy - did that GM harness get you all the way around the windshield frame to the mirror?

The sensor was already present? I have never seen that before! The ones I have added I had to add the sensor. (my luck) Anywho, so the harness is just under the passenger side vent thingy - did that GM harness get you all the way around the windshield frame to the mirror?

I apologize, the sensor was missing but the plug was there, so adding a sensor was just plug and play. The gm harness was only at the mirror. I had to build a harness to splice into the GM side and run from the mirror to the oem Jeep connection under the dash cover. Roughly 3-4ft of harness was added to connect the Jeep to the GM mirror. These images helped a ton.

Early 2000's Tahoe Gentex 177 mirror connection:
Screenshot_20240125_203024_Google.jpg

2006 LJ dash connection:
Screenshot 2023-05-17 095303~3.jpg

Ambient air temp sensor within the grill on the drivers side:
20240126_143836.webp

Just realized I’m almost 10 years in. Did you get your gears put in??
I'm set to get them installed April 1st. Ended up going with LetzRoll Offroad since they had the best price with full locker install, including wiring everything up. I was hoping to keep it closer to Flag, but Summit 4x4 in Prescott quoted 3x higher than anything in the valley. I'm excited to get this thing on the trails again!

The factory tire carrier on the MorRyde brackets never sat nicely with a 5x5 adaptor, causing the tire to sit too far from the tailgate and requiring extra long extensions for the rubber snubbers. I ended up snagging a JK adjustable carrier and modifying the tailgate mount on the carrier to fit the TJ pattern. This now allows for height adjustment and places the tire closer to the tailgate. The 37 is still a bit much for the MorRyde carrier, but it's now about as tight as it was with a 35.

Modified JK carrier
20240308_153752.webp

20240309_104151~2.webp

250 miles into the gear break-in. I'm glad I went with the 5.13s. The 1-2 shift is quick, but around town and low speed highway cruises along nicely. The revolution gears are quiet. There is a slight vibration around 50mph, which I believe is coming from the front shaft since that's pretty beat up, otherwise it's smooth at 65.

I just did a trip down to Sedona and back today to test the gearing on steep switchbacks. Night and day difference in engine braking down the hill and holding speed up the hill. It still lacks power, but can keep up with traffic.

250 miles to go in the break-in, then it'll be ready for fluid changes and wheeling.

Attachments

• 20240421_154503~2.webp
    20240421_154503~2.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Spent some time resetting the rear control arms since they were eyeballed when the 3" coils went in. The axle clears the tank skid with the lower arms set at about 15.5" (minimum length). The uptravel is severely limited by the track bar and bracket nearly hitting the crossmember and hard fuel lines at full bump, so the 2" bumpstop extensions will stay put. With the rear axle set, I can get working on trimming the rear wheel arches.

20240503_111607~2.webp20240503_100417.webp20240503_101528.webp

Last edited:

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine