TJ's 00 XJ

Teej said:
I decided to pull apart the clutch on my a/c pulley before buying a new compressor to see if I could save some money. No pics since I always forget to take pics, but I discovered some interesting things. First, someone has definitely pulled this apart before (or tried to). My first indication was that there was one shim remaining behind the clutch (I think stock there's 4?). My next indication was bits of broken snap ring pliers stuck in the first snap ring. I was able to clean it all out and get it fully apart. The compressor itself seems good since the shaft spins smooth. The bearing on the pulley was totally fucked and made all sorts of lovely grindy noises when I spun it off the shaft. The clutch didn't look great either, but probably functioned fine... either way I ordered a replacement clutch kit. Figure I can save myself the cost of recharging the system by not replacing the whole a/c compressor. Hopefully this cures my issue so I can get back to driving it!

That?s what I did to the wife?s Kia. 29.00 for a clutch coil. The pulley was in great shape coil just burned out. Fixed it for 60.00. $30.00 for coil $30.00 for new right angle Snap-on snap ring pliers. Plus I got a new tool out of the deal.

Teej said:
I decided to pull apart the clutch on my a/c pulley before buying a new compressor to see if I could save some money. No pics since I always forget to take pics, but I discovered some interesting things. First, someone has definitely pulled this apart before (or tried to). My first indication was that there was one shim remaining behind the clutch (I think stock there's 4?). My next indication was bits of broken snap ring pliers stuck in the first snap ring. I was able to clean it all out and get it fully apart. The compressor itself seems good since the shaft spins smooth. The bearing on the pulley was totally fucked and made all sorts of lovely grindy noises when I spun it off the shaft. The clutch didn't look great either, but probably functioned fine... either way I ordered a replacement clutch kit. Figure I can save myself the cost of recharging the system by not replacing the whole a/c compressor. Hopefully this cures my issue so I can get back to driving it!

That?s what I did to the wife?s Kia. 29.00 for a clutch coil. The pulley was in great shape coil just burned out. Fixed it for 60.00. $30.00 for coil $30.00 for new right angle Snap-on snap ring pliers. Plus I got a new tool out of the deal.

Haven't managed to get the bearing out of the pulley yet. Need to find a hydraulic press to get it out and the one at work is broken at the moment.

In the mean time, other new things...

thRNqZY.jpg

ZX1xds1.jpg

A/C fixed and Jeep is driving again! Felt good to get it back on the road. Should be getting the bumper on this weekend. Next step, lift and tires.

Some updates. Got the front bumper on! Also put some wheel spacers on. I'll need them for the ravines, figured I'd put them on now so my Jeep looks less like a shopping cart.

dBYWBKm.jpg

sjxLZD7.jpg

Also, I'm starting to hoard parts. Things are getting exciting.

pXOonfj.jpg

Have a big mix of Subaru and Jeep parts going on in this garage. Lots of scrap, lots of good stuff. And it's all on the border so I can still fit my Forester in the garage.

That bumper looks great, Teej! Now you just need to fill in that empty spot where the winch is supposed to be... 😉

G Beasley said:
Nothing wrong with stacking some parts  😀

Only problem is running out of garage space!

badmonkey said:
Looks good, nice sunset too! 🙂

Thanks!

Chris A said:
That bumper looks great, Teej! Now you just need to fill in that empty spot where the winch is supposed to be... 😉

Yep! I gotta do some winch research. Turns out they don't make the LP8500 anymore...

G Beasley said:
Build more garage!

It?s worked for me  😀

That would work if I weren't in an apartment. I'm lucky to have an attached 2 car garage as is! Buying a house is on my radar and I'll make sure I get enough garage or space to build one.

Nice vehicle, but you lost me with all the Subaruese. Didn?t understand what 3/4 of the go fast parts are or do. But it looks like fun to drive and that?s the important part.

TexNVA said:
Here you go B. definitely worth a read.

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/tjs-04-forester-xt.607801/

Holy Moly BATMAN! A functional built Subaru, I miss seeing that style , and not this haggardass hell camber crap

Kuddos to you good SIR, KUDDOS

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine