TJ's 00 XJ

1989comanche said:
Nice vehicle, but you lost me with all the Subaruese. Didn?t understand what 3/4 of the go fast parts are or do. But it looks like fun to drive and that?s the important part.

Definitely fun to drive. Makes about 300hp at the wheels and is built for cornering. It's an absolute blast and I love dailying it.

d1backwoods said:
Holy Moly BATMAN! A functional built Subaru, I miss seeing that style , and not this haggardass hell camber crap

Kuddos to you good SIR, KUDDOS

I actually run quite a bit more camber than stock but that's just to make it corner better 😉 you'll never see me driving on the inner sidewalls lol

Well I have help setup many cars for track duty and am a Roadrace guru (better than my Jeep skills) so I know the functionality part of camber, and know the retard angles as well! Hahh

d1backwoods said:
Well I have help setup many cars for track duty and am a Roadrace guru (better than my Jeep skills) so I know the functionality part of camber, and know the retard angles as well! Hahh

Good stuff man. We threw the Fozzy up on the alignment rack at work and got it set up at -2.2/-1.8 f/r camber and 5.5 degrees of caster. She handles pretty good it seems. Nice and neutral through constant throttle turning and oversteers when you stomp on it. Perks of the 6 speed swap; the 35/65 f/r bias is a game changer from the 50/50 5 speed the car came with.

Little update. Started working on the lift over the weekend. Took a few pics when I remembered to (I'm really bad at that). As far as breakage goes, I've only broken one bolt, and it's the passenger rear lower shock bolt. Every other bolt came off. I'm honestly shocked. At one point the brake lines on this Jeep were redone and the hardlines are suuuuuuper shitty and soft, so I had to reflare three of them.

All that's left now is the SYE, trackbar (whenever that comes in...), steering, and fixing that shock mount. [member=587]kingpin1094[/member] said he'd weld it up for me, and it seems like it'll be an easy enough job.

Some pics:

TvQSvz7.jpg

KTlIR8C.jpg

The broken stud (bushing has since been removed):
LDUnAW7.jpg

badmonkey said:
It's awesome the bolts were mostly easy. Did you presoak?

A bit. The previous owner had a Rough Country 3" lift put on it and it only had like 5k miles on it so all the bolts were in decent shape already. I don't think any amount of PB blaster would have saved the stud that broke given how little torque it broke off with. I broke it with a regular old half inch ratchet and barely any effort lol

G Beasley said:
My XJ is a true Southern Jeep and I still broke a few bolts when I put the lift on , its in their DNA...

Definitely is. I guess I just got lucky buying one that was recently lifted since all the bolts were mostly unstuck. Currently fighting the stock drag link which is stuck in the pitman arm. Got a pickle fork last night so I'll try to whack at it today and get it free. Possibly will have to break out the torch... We'll see.

G Beasley said:
Pickle fork adapter for your air chisel , I havent fought one in years!

First step, acquire air chisel... I have a super tiny compressor that can run one, just have to pick one up I suppose.

Have you tried this?
1. Tap pickle fork in until it supports itself pretty solidly.
2. Hit Pittman arm (not pickle fork or drag link) perpendicular to the direction of separation.

The vibration of hitting the Pittman arm is what's separated them for me in the past.

Teej said:
First step, acquire air chisel... I have a super tiny compressor that can run one, just have to pick one up I suppose.
The harbor freight one will do the job , no need for anything fancy other than the lisle pickle fork adapter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lisle-Pickle-Fork-Kit-41500/306763384

Take the bfh and pound the thinnest spot of the pitman arm really hard a few times near the drag link. That will deform the metal slightly and push the shank of the drag link out and it will pop right out.

I ended up getting the drag link off in about a minute once I got a pickle fork. Really just needed the right tool for the job...

Little (big) update:

xyEq4Xx.jpg

Just rolled it out of the garage. DEFINITELY need some trimming. Can turn about 3 degrees before it starts rubbing lol. But I knew that. I just wanted it out of the middle of the garage so my roommate and I can park our cars in there again. I have a small to-do list before it's ready for the trails:

* Do the SYE (currently I have a FWD Jeep lol)
* Swap the steering box (broke a stud in mine and it's pretty shot anyway)
* Drill out the pitman arm to 5/8" for my heim steering (bought a cheap 5/8" bit and it was not adequate for this job at all)
* Trim the fenders and cut n fold the rear quarters
* Fix the rear shock mount that broke on the 8.25
* Whenever it finally shows up, put in my trackbar and steering box brace from ironman4x4fab
* Drill the tie-ins for the long arms (probably not super urgent but good peace of mind)

Hoping to get most of this done in the next few weeks before I go back to NJ for the holidays.

Cool Jeep.  I built a neat-o long armed red XJ once - they're special to me.  You should have left the mud flaps on for a discussion topic.  What long arm is that?  You might avoid some trimming if the front got leveled out some - goodness that has a rake to it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine