Workout Discussion

ShaunSweeney

Now that a few of us are trying to get into better shape and state of health, I figured a workout thread may be usefull to give people ideas.  I have always found variety makes working out regularly more easy.  I will start.

Today:
50 Box Jumps
50 Situps (weighted)
50 Leg Raises
50 Russian Twists (weighted)
50 Burpees
50 Pushups

Cool!  Good thread!   👍 

Wed:

7 sets squats, beginning with 135 x 20 reps, ending with 315 x 3 reps, weight increasing and reps decreasing each set.
calf raises with 315, 3 sets, don't remember how many.   :-X 
3 mile run

Thur:

My own version of good mornings using 100lb dumbbell, 4 sets 12 reps
traps on cable machine, 150 x 12 reps for 3 sets
pull ups, 4 sets x 10, nothing too serious here
threw in some random curls during rest
3 mile run

What I'm omitting but to be assumed:  thorough stretches before and after every workout.  I've found this to be KEY to performance and avoiding soreness/joint aches now that I'm past the 4.0 mark.

Not as impressive as Bryans list , but I am happy with the progress .

Few minutes of stretching.
15 pushups
30 crunches
50 bicycles
15 pushups
30 crunches
50 bicycles
15 pushups
50 jumping jacks
Few minutes of stretching .

I am starting to pick up a little definition in my arms , and my posture is also improving . As I keep getting stronger I keep adding sets , and I keep having to get up earlier  😀

Good times right there....workout with your lady and fun too.   8) 

Friday is either make up day or round robin day.  This one was round robin.

Kicked it off with curls using a tricep bar....the one with vertical grip.  Slow with extra attention to form.  60 lbs, 2 sets 12 reps, 10 reps fail 3rd set. 
Tricep push downs on cable machine using 45?handle.  200lbs on stack.  Set 1 15 reps, set 2 14 reps, set 3 fail at 11 reps.
Straight-arm chest flies using 20lb dumbbells.  2 sets 15 reps.
Dips, 2 sets 10 reps.  Easy stuff.
Abs, straight legged raises on knee raise machine.  Toes to eye level or above.  3 sets, 10 reps. 
3.2 mile run

Now for a weekend of recovery.  Yeah right....headed to the Flats tomorrow for offroad goodness.   😀

G Beasley date=1402097958 said:
Not as impressive as Bryans list , but I am happy with the progress .

I am starting to pick up a little definition in my arms , and my posture is also improving . As I keep getting stronger I keep adding sets , and I keep having to get up earlier  😀
Hey man, it shouldn't look like my list.  The goal is to end better than you began.  The only competition is you.   👍   Especially to be starting off that's awesome!!!   😉

That's right - visual confirmation of improvement.  Keep it up G!  

Every day is upper body day.

Monday: Chest and arms
Tuesday: Biceps
Wednesday: Triceps
Thursday: Chest
Friday: Upper body
Saturday: Shoulders, Traps, Back
Sunday: Sun-tanning and abs

😀

ShaunSweeney date=1402372852 said:
Today's WOD was a nice fast pace 4 mile run with Jenny.

Three sets of crunches , Push ups , and bicycles . Well except for the third set of crunches , my guts were hurting too much by then !

Yesterday's (Monday) workout was modified by pestulant rain.  We were held hostage a few extra minutes in the office by a rather nasty storm.  Made a break for it and got to the gym, still putting down a slow rain.  With the shortened time frame got in a quick arm day:

EZ curl bar reverse grip, 50lbs, 7 reps x 12 sets, superset style (less than 10 sec between sets)
reverse grip cable tricep pushdowns, 80lbs, 4 sets x 10 reps.  Used the lat pulldown machine, this seems to be much harder than the standard machine.

The run got interesting.  The rain had ceased so off I go.  Half mile in the clouds opened up again.  There is an overpass bridge another 1/4 mi away so ducked in for refuge since I could hardly see where I was going.   :🙂   Wait 30.  The rain slacked enough for visibility so I finished the initial mile then turned around.  Made that one a fast mile as the skies continued to threaten.  It was more like a terrestrial swim.   😱

Really digging this thread. I want to work out, but my complete lack of knowledge of what exercises to do & how to put them together is intimidating to me, so I just don't do it.  :-[  I'm not out of shape by any means. I'm 6'-0" & ~190lbs & I'm always active, but would like to look a little more in shape. My biggest hurdle is portion control. I like to eat, & if it's good food, I like to eat a lot. I'm going to be separated from my wife & kids for a little over a month, next time I see them face to face I want them to see a big difference. So once I move in a couple weeks. It's on. If you guys have any more good weight free/gym free weekly routines, I'd love to see them! I plan on walking almost every single night I can for the cardio. At low tide I'll be walking on the beach!  👍

Thanks to all you experienced guys who are sharing this info!

Join a gym and make a friend!  Personally, I avoid gyms with the showoff crowd.  The YMCA is perfect for me.  Everyone is friendly and helpful.  It all depends on your fitness goals too so shop around!  Each place seems to have it's own "personality".   👍 

Many gyms have staff who are willing to show you basic techniques or lend you a spot if needed.  Ask about it in the interview.  If the response is anything less than "absolutley" perhaps you're not in the right place.....

Naturally the fitness guys here will help you as well.  My advice:  start off slowly, perfect your form (far more important than actual weight), then work your way up.   😉

I won't waste the money on a gym right now. For me, I want something I can do in 20 minutes when I wake up before work. If I have to take 45 minutes to an hour to drive to the gym, workout & then drive home, it won't last long. Not saying I won't join one down the road as this hopefully progresses. I know I would probably see better results, but as long as I am seeing results, I'll be happy. And I don't want to be super ripped. I'm just looking to suck in my gut a little bit & ton up these guns.

When I get to that point I'll probably look for a gym without the show off crowd as well. Honestly working out around other people has always steered me away from gym memberships. Guess I'm just self conscious about it.

7 Slot Customs date=1402402379 said:
So once I move in a couple weeks. It's on.

If you don't start immediately- IE today or tomorrow you won't get the results you want.  A billion things will happen that will delay you once you move, you need to start today and get into a routine waaaay before you move.

You can google 10,000 different workouts and 15,000 different diets, they will all pretty much work for you in some form or fashion if you stick to them. The key is to start now. Force yourself to do it. Develop a "no matter what" mentality- No matter what, I will exercise today.

I started off with the goal of just doing 20 push ups . Then I kept adding stuff in . I started back in March barely able to do 10 push ups and now I average 45 per morning .

My sets go like this . 15-20 pushups , 30 crunches , 100 bicycles , 15 pushups , 30 crunches , 100 bicycles , 10 back lifts , 10-15 push ups 20- 30 crunches and 50 bicycles . I adjust the third set according to how I feel . My goal is to get a nice workout right here in the house , but not hurt myself . Start slow and keep adding reps .

And just like Redlyner said start tomorrow morning ...

REDLYNER said:
If you don't start immediately- IE today or tomorrow you won't get the results you want.  A billion things will happen that will delay you once you move, you need to start today and get into a routine waaaay before you move.

You can google 10,000 different workouts and 15,000 different diets, they will all pretty much work for you in some form or fashion if you stick to them. The key is to start now. Force yourself to do it. Develop a "no matter what" mentality- No matter what, I will exercise today.

I kind of am starting now, just in a different way. Lifting 12' counter tops & man handling kitchen cabinets by yourself is quite the workout. Not to mention hauling 800 sf of wood flooring into the house & up & down installing it. That's the only reason I'm NOT starting right now. Too much to do before the move & I figure I'm getting a damn good workout everyday as it is, but I understand what you're getting at. I'll start doing a little something just to get into it.

https://www.helpavetshine.us/help-a-vet-shine